Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ryan.gordy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:04:21 AM(UTC)
ryan.gordy

Groups: Registered

We've had this freezer for about 4 years now, and it has always worked great. Recently we were on vacation when the power went out at our house. For some reason our roommate decided to unplug the freezer, so when the power came back on it was still off. Needless to say the freezer was a mess when we returned.

After cleaning it out as best we could we decided to let it air out for a while, and left the door propped open. It is in the garage, and this was during the summer.

I've just checked at there is a large crack along the bottom portion of the liner, and I am wondering if there is any way to repair this? The freezer is still musty as well, and I think that molds must have made their way into the cracks and crannies that I could not reach. Is it generally easy to disassemble the liner for cleaning?

I'm still looking for the manual to see what the exact model is, but pics are attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ryan.gordy attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:06:41 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Groups: Registered

No way to repair it at all we usually end up having the unit replaced..........Only thing you can maybe do is try epoxy or something of that nature but you'll have the glue smell in the unit....
richappy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:13:18 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can clean and dry the area and use wide, clear, plastic tape to seal the area.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:57:41 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Are you sure this is a crack and not the way the cover is supposed to be?
Looks just too symmetrical and nice to be a crack.

I cannot tell if it is held in by screws. If it is you can remove it and repair it from the back. Use some real duct tape. The stuff they use to seal heating ducts. It is self stick tin foil with a peel off back. You could cut a piece just a little bigger than the crack. Place this over the crack from the back tin foil facing out. Then use another piece over this on the back with the sticky side glued to the cover to hold this in place. This way you do not have the sticky side showing into the compartment.

If you cannot get the cover off just use the tape in the compartment.
Use a couple layers for additional strength if you want.

It is a good idea to wipe the area off with isopropyl alcohol before applying the tape. This should clean off any release agent/oil from the surface.

There are a couple types of duct tape try to get the one with a thin layer of glue on the back. The other type has a thicker layer about an eighth of an inch but is not as good.

Getting the compartment apart is a real pain so I would not attempt it.
The best stuff I have found to get rid of odors is ground coffee.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply