Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frigid247  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:08:29 PM(UTC)
Frigid247

Groups: Registered

Hoping someone on here can help. I've got a 2009 Frigidaire which has been running non stop all day.The Fridge section is about 35 degrees Farenhight, while the freezer varies between 5 above and 5 below. The thermostat dial in the freezer section is set all the way to the left, warmest possible setting. The fridge is most of the way to the left. The settings have not been changed since it was new, almost 4 years ago. It worked properly until this week.I pulled the unit out from the wall, hoping to vacuum the coils as we did with our old model. No coils back there. None up front either. There's a cardboard panel in back, down low at floor level, but this appears to be something to do with an ice maker, which we didn't get. Pulled up one corner of this and it seemed pretty clean under there, but vacuumed all around behind the unit and under the front. No change. Also checked for obvious air leaks around the doors, with no luck. Not really sure what else to check. Also not sure if it's safe to leave the unit running when I go to work tomorrow; I don't want to throw out $300 worth of food but worse would be the thing overheats and starts a fire. Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next?Our old fridge was a 1960 Frigidaire which gave us nearly 50 years of reliable service before wearing out. I realize we can't have 1960 style reliability anymore but is this really the beginning of the end for this fridge? Will it be one repair after another from this point on? I've heard all sorts of horror stories from friends/relatives about nearly new appliances self destructing at the five year mark. Should I cut my losses at this point? And are there any other brands that might last a bit longer? Much thanks in advance for any help.-Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:54:29 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the fridg back panel and verify condensing fan is running and the condenser coils clean.
Frigid247  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:01:44 AM(UTC)
Frigid247

My thanks for the response. I took the panel off, it was prtty clean back there but vacuumed it as best as I could. The condenser fan was running fine. Also made sure there was plenty of airflow around the unit and left it away from the wall a bit more than before. There's nothing inside blocking the cold air jets, it's only half full in there so stuffs not crammed against the back. It's been brutally hot here this week and there's no a/c except in the beedroom, but we've had heat waves before without any problems from the fridge. Everythings "nomal" when you look inside, no frost build-up, no funny noises or smells. It just won't shut off. I'm at a loss about what to try next. Much thanks for any help.
-Mike
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 7:39:57 AM(UTC)
richappy

You might have a stuck cold control in this. You can turn it back and for a few times to unstick it. If it will not turn the compressor off when you turn it to off, it's probably bad.
Frigid247  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:53:54 PM(UTC)
Frigid247

My thanks again for the response. Just got home from work and sure enough it was roaring away. Freezer at -5 degrees F, fridge at about 30. I turned the cold control to off and it shut off. Turned it back on, it stayed off about a minute and right back to running again. I'm told however that it did shut off twice in the early morning, for about a half hour each time. Maybe because it was cooler in the house? But we've had heat waves before that haven't affected the fridge. I've set the cold control to a warmer setting but it was generally right at 35-40 degrees F at the old setting. Not really sure what to do next, but will keep an eye on it to see if it might shut off at the warmer setting. My sincere thanks for any help. -Mike
Frigid247  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 3:29:03 PM(UTC)
Frigid247

Update- I set the cold control to as warm as it will go without shutting the unit off. Still roaring away, minus 5 degrees F in the freezer, 30 dergees above in the 'fridge. Guess that's as cold as it can get in there no matter how long it runs. And I guess that means it will be running all night, again, unless someones willing to troop up and down the stairs to turn the thing on and off.

Assuming it's the thermostat/cold control, is this something a home mechanic might take on? If not, are we looking at a megabuck repair job here? Best to kick this to the curb and move on, or spend some money on it? Given that it's having major problems before it's 4th birthday I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm also wondering why it appeared to working "okay" for a brief period early this morning, before going bonkers again.

Much thanks for any help.

-Mike
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:34:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

You might have an airflow problem, check for ice blocking the air vents.
Frigid247  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:53:40 PM(UTC)
Frigid247

I checked the vents in front, at floor level for obstructions and dirt. They appear to be clear. These appear to be the exhaust where the warmed air comes out. Are there other vents I should look at?

The back panel on this unit is solid steel except for the very bottom, which is a removable cardboard panel. I pulled this off and looked at everything and cleaned what I could reach. All looks okay.

Could it be low on freon? Even running 24-7 it only gets down to 30 degrees F or so in the fridge section. But at its current, warm setting (as warm as can be without turning it off it ought to be shutting off at 30. Got to admit i'm stumped!

-Mike
richappy  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:30:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

Remove the back freezer panel and check the frost pattern, should be total, light frost.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply