Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
two-zees  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:50:11 PM(UTC)
two-zees

Groups: Registered

Three days ago our freezer was inadvertently left a few inches open for a couple hours. Since then there has been a slow drip on the bottom of the opening-side of the freezer door. The door seems to seal fine and there's no damage to the gasket. We assumed there was condensation from the door being left open and that it would eventually dry up.

It is not drying up, and I've had to throw away items that have defrosted in the bottom shelf of the freezer door. Now today I'm noticing that the fridge is not as cold as it should be (it's always been on the recommended setting indicated by a dash on the dial). I've turned it up twice throughout the day and it's still not as cold as it should be (liquids aren't much colder than tap water).

The fridge is only 10 years old and I'm hoping we can fix it ourselves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

scott5495  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:09:34 PM(UTC)
scott5495

first open the door and push in the door switch. does the fan run?

next look at interior back wall. if frost is on the panel you probably have a defrost problem.

make sure nothing is stopping the door from closing all the way. even a sixteenth of an inch crack can cause unit to warm up
two-zees  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:17:44 PM(UTC)
two-zees

Thanks for your quick response!

The fan seems to be running fine, and the door appears to seal wonderfully.

We hadn't noticed any frost, but we'd only been focusing on the top and bottom walls and the back around the fan. On closer inspection yes about a half-inch layer of frost has formed on the back wall of the bottom half of the freezer, from the middle shelf down.

I've gone ahead and cleared out the freezer and I've scraped as much frost off as I could (there was enough to 2/3's fill a small 1-lb margarine container). There's still a thin layer of frost covering the back wall. Should I leave it and hope the auto-defrost works its' magic, or should I empty everything and unplug it to manually defrost it overnight?
scott5495  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:53:21 PM(UTC)
scott5495

give me a few minutes to check something
scott5495  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:04:21 PM(UTC)
scott5495

take the food out of freezer and remove icemaker
take back panel out.
behind the panel is the cooling coils.
if they have a light coating of frost on them then the defrost system is o.k.
if there is a lot of frost stopping up the coils then you have a defrost system problem. take a hair dryer and melt the frost and ice off of coils.
this will return the frig to normal operation for a couple of days, until frost builds back up.
this frig has an adaptive defrost timer, I am looking for the steps to put it into a manual defrost. check this for now and I will be back
scott5495  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:14:19 PM(UTC)
scott5495

with ref still running and cooling, frost still on coils, open freezer door and press door switch 5 times in six seconds. the ref should shut down and enter defrost. in defrost the heater will come on. if the heater comes on then you have a bad adaptive defrost control.
this is only if you have a lot of frost built up.
if the heater does not come on you probably have a bad heater or defrost termination thermostat. I would replace both since they are relatively inexpensive. let me know what you find
two-zees  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 11:40:59 AM(UTC)
two-zees

I ran out of time last night so all I did was scrape as much frost off as I could and pulled out a few small ice chunks from the drain openings. I put the necessities back in the freezer and hoped for the best.

This morning the freezer was pretty much defrosted, the fridge is back to normal temperature, and a small roast I put in the freezer from the fridge last night was frozen solid. And the door no longer seems to be dripping. YAY!!!

I will keep a very close eye on it and if there's any more issues I'll follow the instructions you've given for manual defrost to see if there was an underlying problem. I'm crossing my fingers that it was a one-time issue from the door being left open in the heat and that there was no permanent damage. But thank you so much for your quick responses and great advice!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply