Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mysterycereal  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:25:39 PM(UTC)
mysterycereal

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone, I have a quick question. Long story short, my fridge/freezer stopped being cold. Called a company to check it out and guy said it was the start relay. He wanted to charge me 210 to fix it. So (having sold appliances ages ago and wondering why a small part was so much) do some research and every forum I could find said it was an easy repair. So I went down to the local parts store, bought the relay, and replaced it. I even made sure the old one was really broken (it looked partly melted and when shaken, it would rattle). SO after replacing it, nothing at all seems to be fixed. Hours later it still does not cool. While I am find paying (losing?) the thirty bucks on the relay since it seemed it needed replacement, I am at a loss for what to do. Am I missing a small step that everyone but me knows haha. Any help would be great.Thanks alot in advance.

~Emil
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:00:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is there now anything running?
mysterycereal  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:15:21 PM(UTC)
mysterycereal

sorry I was not more clear on that, yes everything continues to run, lights, inside and outside fan. But air never gets cold and touching the compressor on the outside doesn't seem to feel warm from being on or anything like that. Leads me to believe it may be a busted compressor.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:02:33 PM(UTC)
richappy

If the condensing fan in the back is running and you replaced the compressor start device with one exactly the same as the old one, you just may have a open compressor.
mysterycereal  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:28:57 PM(UTC)
mysterycereal

By open compressor do you mean its no good or am I not understanding it? Sorry for not knowing all the terms. Would it be something that difficult to fix? The fan we are talking about it a pretty big fan angled to hit the compressor and keep it cool from what I gather. That continues to run but the compressor it self seems to make no noise. Thanks alot for your help so far.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:57:45 PM(UTC)
richappy

Unfortunately, you will need a meter to check things. Your compressor may be blown open, or there is no voltage to it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply