Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MightySky  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 7:33:03 PM(UTC)
MightySky

Groups: Registered

Help!

My freezer was not defrosting and my fridge was too warm, so I advanced my defrost timer to start a defrost cycle. Now my fridge is fine but my freezer is too warm--there is no frost on the coils, the ice cream has melted, and the ice-maker spits out a few cubes every few days. Also, the frame between the freezer and the fridge gets very hot. Cool air blows into the freezer, but not cold. I don't have a thermometer, so don't know how cold it's getting, but I'm guessing it's hovering around 32 degrees, since the ice cubes are glistening but not melting.

I'm assuming that at least part of the problem is the defrost timer, since the current problem only started after I tinkered with it. I had a hard time getting it to advance (I wasn't hearing it click), and think I may have done something to throw it out of whack.

As you can tell, I'm a total newbie. Should I just replace the defrost timer--and if so, how?--or are there other things I need to check first?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:58:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull the back panel and check the condensing fan and condenser coils. If clogged, just clean them.
If you suspect a slow condensing fan, use a portable fan to cool the condenser and compressor.
MightySky  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:18:16 AM(UTC)
MightySky

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
I would pull the back panel and check the condensing fan and condenser coils. If clogged, just clean them.
If you suspect a slow condensing fan, use a portable fan to cool the condenser and compressor.

Thanks. When you say to pull the back panel, do you mean the inside freezer back panel or the cabinet back? I'm not sure where the condenser fan is.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 12:20:50 AM(UTC)
richappy

Pull the fridg. away from the wall, and remove the back panel
MightySky  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:40:37 PM(UTC)
MightySky

Pull the fridg. away from the wall, and remove the back panel

Thanks. I just cleaned the fans and coils. It looked like the fan was moving slowly, though I have nothing to compare it to. Should it be moving as quickly as a portable fan on medium or high speed (blades a blur)? This was moving like a lazy overhead fan.

Anyway, how long do I need to run the portable fan? If the freezer becomes cold with the portable fan running, does that mean the condenser fan needs replacing?
richappy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:47:12 AM(UTC)
richappy

Yes, if the fridg temps go down to normal levels, like below 15 for freezer, 41 for fridg.
MightySky  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:41:51 AM(UTC)
MightySky

Yes, if the fridg temps go down to normal levels, like below 15 for freezer, 41 for fridg.

I cleaned the fan and my freezer started working again. Now, however, after a week, the freezer is once again not adequately defrosting, which was my original problem (before the freezer stopped freezing). It seemed to be doing fine for six days or so.

Should I check the defrost timer and defrost thermostat, or does this pattern suggest a different problem?
richappy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:07:11 PM(UTC)
richappy

Remove the freezer back panel. If coils have heavy frost, thaw them out with a hair dryer, then replace the defrost thermostat, most probable problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply