Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cryptoking  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2013 5:46:53 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

Groups: Registered

I have a kenmore s/s fridge. The problem started with fridge being warm. The fridge is completely empty. I replaced the following: New defrost thermostat and heater assy, new thermostat (fridge side), new defrost timer, new evaporator fan (bottom-rear exterior). Freezer fan blowing well. There are NO restrictions in the duct. Compressor is NOT noisy. Coils are clean. I have completely defrosted unit and restarted. Nominal frost on coils (see pic). Freezer only reaches 20 degrees and fridge around 50. Control settings are set to initial. NEED HELP!!!!! Losing sleep and my hair!!!!
cryptoking attached the following image(s):
IMG_0340.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

cryptoking  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2013 7:32:10 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

Sorry - I meant the condensor fan motor not the evaporator motor.
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:21:15 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]I replaced the following: New defrost thermostat and heater assy, new thermostat (fridge side), new defrost timer, new evaporator fan (bottom-rear exterior).[/COLOR]
Did you do any troubleshooting to determine if any of the above parts were bad? If yes what did you do and what were the results.
Or did you just feel that the part you replaced was the most likely cause.

[COLOR="Blue"]Freezer only reaches 20 degrees and fridge around 50.[/COLOR]
How long has the unit been on. An empty freezer will take a long time to get down to set temperature (24 hours or so).

The coils look OK as far as cooling, the frost on them looks fairly even.

Is the compressor cycling on/off or is it on all the time?
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cryptoking  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 4:19:10 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

Yes I did troubleshoot for the most part. The heater assy was replaced because the lower element was not working. The defrost thermostat was tested using ice water and an ohm meter to determine if it would open and close. It came as an assy so I did it all at once.

The condenser fan was was found to be intermittent. I saw it not spinning and used my finger to make it start. I decided it was best to replace it.

The fridge thermostat was also intermittent as it would make the compressor kick in an out with th slightest touch.

The defrost timer was originally mechanical type. It tested ok but I changed it as a precaution with an electronic one.

Since the unit is in the garage I cannot say for certain that the compressor cycles. It has been on now for about 3 days.
cryptoking  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 4:48:29 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

I think that the compressor remains on now that I think about it. Every time that I have been out in the garage it seems to be running. Would that indicate that the unit is low on freon? I can manually put the unit in defrost mode and the compressor does cut off for the duration (30 mins or so).
denman  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 4:50:00 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"] It has been on now for about 3 days.[/COLOR]
It should be down to set point temperatures by now.
Sounds like you did a good job troubleshooting.

Is the evaporator/freezer fan running?

How hot is it in the garage.
If very hot the unit may not be able to get rid of the heat in the condenser coils so it cannot reach set point. In this case the compressor would run all the time.

You have to find out how the compressor is running to be able to go any further. You can usually hear it but should also be able to feel it vibrating.

If it is on all the time except when it goes through a defrost cycle, then you know that the thermostat and the compressor start device is OK.

If it is cycling then probably the thermostat is either bad or perhaps you installed it wrong and it's tip is measuring at the wrong location re: too cold at that spot.

Your problem is a mystery as the frost on the coils looks OK (nice and even across the coils) so the darn thing should cool down to set point.

Have you checked the door seals?
cryptoking  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:39:56 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

The fan as well as the compressor are functioning. The seals on the door are intact and sealing well (suction when opening).
The temp in the garage is about 80. I also have another fridge and a deep freezer out there that are functioning well.

The replacement thermostat came with the probe straightened. The original one was coiled. So I thought it should be coiled. I used the handle of a screwdriver to coil it like the old one. Since you have now mentioned it. I have uncoiled it (for the most part) and placed the tip away from the air duct.

I have also placed a thermostat and will grab a reading for you in about an hour. By the way, temp in the freezer is still about 20.

Thanks so much for your help.
denman  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 6:53:25 AM(UTC)
denman

If the compressor is running all the time then it will not be the thermostat.

Has this unit ever worked OK in your garage with the current ambient temperature?
cryptoking  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:34:22 AM(UTC)
cryptoking

Yes - at one point it did work and the fridge was somewhere around 22 while the freezer was -10. But that's when the condenser motor went intermittent. That's why I replaced it. Have not been able to achieve those temperatures since then. The lowest freezer temp has been around 20 while the fridge is around 40-50.

Any more ideas? I figure that the compressor keeps running because the unit has not achieved the desired temperature. Could the unit be low on freon? I wouldn't think so with the evenness of the frost.
cryptoking  
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:08:07 PM(UTC)
cryptoking

Any more help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply