Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tfraley3  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:46:01 AM(UTC)
tfraley3

Groups: Registered

I have a Frigidaire side by side, model FRS6LR5EQ3, that I bought in 2007. The freezer will not get cold. The refridgerator side seems cool, but not cold. Cleaned dust off the coils in the back/bottom of unit. Took the cover off the inside back wall of freezer and found the top of the coils with some frost on it, but clean the rest of the way down. All fans are running and I hear the normal noises (except its not making ice, due to not being cold enough I'm guessing. After looking around on this forum, I'm thinking I may have a freon issue. I did notice some green patina looking discolorization on one of the tubes.

Am I correct in guessing this is the problem? If anyone has had this repaired, about what did it cost? Trying to weigh the cost of repair vs replacement.

Thanky you,
Tommy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 2:07:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Am I correct in guessing this is the problem?[/COLOR]
Yes it does sound like a sealed system problem.
I am assuming that the evaporator fan runs and the compressor is on all the time other than when it goes through a defrost cycle.

Since this will be expensive, be sure that the compressor has run for at least an hour before checking the evaporator coils. If you check them shortly after or during a defrost cycle you could come up with the wrong diagnosis.

If anyone has had this repaired, about what did it cost? Trying to weigh the cost of repair vs replacement.
I do not know the cost to repair in your area but probably a minimum of $500.00 and could be considerably more.
There is no use just adding freon, they have to locate the leak and repair that. They may not be able to find it so you pay for the service call and end up with it not being repaired.
Also you will probably need a new drier at minimum and it may have screwed up the compressor since there is now probably air in the system
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tfraley3  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 9:21:14 PM(UTC)
tfraley3

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the info. It's been doing this for a few days now. If it's that much for a repair, I'll probably just get a new fridge.

Thank again.
Tom
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply