Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
twobadrams  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 9:54:27 AM(UTC)
twobadrams

Groups: Registered

Styrofoam above evaporator is falling apart and plugs the drain and makes the coils freeze up.. this is a 30 year old wards fridge and works great otherwise.. Want to know if I can use cardboard covered with aluminum tape so it won't get wet to replace the styrofoam that I can no longer get..Or would that be a fire hazard from the defrosting bar in evaporator.. Styrofoam burns so don't think it would not be a problem..
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

twobadrams  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 26, 2013 2:01:37 PM(UTC)
twobadrams

ok nobody answered so i just did it.. and it is working fine so far... if house burns down will let you know
denman  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 2:25:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You did not include a make or model so that may be why ypou did not get a response.

If this is a vertical mount evaporator with the defrost thermostat clipped to the top of it, then it should not be that dangerous because the defrost thermostat shuts the power off to the defrost heater just above freezing.
But if the defrost thermostat should weld it's contacts together then it would be a safety issue.
Wrapping the cardboard in foil was a good idea as that will direct heat away from your fix.

There are a couple things that you should watch out for.
1. Be sure that the cardboard cannot fall down and touch the defrost heater.
2. Over time the cardboard may get wet and cause a problem re: sag or cause your tape to release.
3. If this is the only insulation above the evaporator then you may have problems with condensation on the outside of the fridge because you will have a cold spot. Styrofoam wrapped in foil would have probably been a better option but this may not have been possible. Best if it is closed cell.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
twobadrams  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 6:54:57 AM(UTC)
twobadrams

Thanks for the reply.. Did not have model # at the time.. It is a Montgomery Ward brand.. Model HMG198547C It is a top door freezer model...The styrofoam that is bad is flat and horizontal right above the evaporator.. had a thin sheet of foil over it that also was falling apart..so I used regular tinfoil folded over 4 times to replace that.. the cardboard was the same thickness as the styrofoam and the tape that i used on it is aluminum duct tape...once it touches it will never come off..hopefully it will last a few more years...right now freezer is at 2.5 degrees and fridge is at 36.5 .. and no sign of frost build up..
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply