Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fatboy2131  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:34:20 PM(UTC)
fatboy2131

Groups: Registered

Hey Guys - hoping you could give me a little direction here. About a month ago my refrigerator section of my side by side warmed up. I found that the evaporator coils were completely froze over. After thawing them out, I cleaned the condenser coils and made sure air could move through the compressor compartment and all was good. Here we are a month later and they have frozen over again.

This time, here is what I checked - the heater ohmed out at 22ohms. I ohmed the defrost t-stat (wired in series with the heater element) and it was closed (total of 22.7 ohms when ohm reading was taken in line with heater).

I thawed it out and started it back up and the thermistor is reading around 5.5Kohms after sitting in ice water for 5 minutes in the freezer. I think this should be around 16K-16.5Kohms. I am not sure how this thermistor works with the control in the grand scheme, but at 5.5K maybe the unit thinks the evap is at 70F or so and won't turn on the defrost?

Also, after about an hour the bottom third, to half of my evap coils has started frosting over again - basically where my cap tube enters the evaporator up almost half way up my evaporator.

Any light you can shed will be very helpful

*EDIT* So I read the sticky thread about this topic, but my understanding is that my defrost timer is located on the mother board and not a mechanical timer. Also my Defrost thermostat is one of those L140-30 types where it opens at 140F and closes at 110F so it should be closed at all times (unless it gets above 140F) which mine is.

*second EDIT* added temperature when checking evap thermistor
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.