Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
avpro  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:59:04 AM(UTC)
avpro

Groups: Registered

So... my good ol' beer fridge stopped working. The name plate says Kenmore Coldspot, but the model number indicates it's made by Whirlpool. Your site leads me to belive it's either a starting capacitor or relay, so I find part #AP3119970, but before I spend $50+, I want to test the old parts and see. Problem is I don't know how to interpret the results.

I show no resistance at all on the little coil between the side attached to the red wire and the terminal on top. I show no continuity between the two top terminals which makes sense because one is attached to the white wire. The re's a little round brown plastic gadget hooked to the red wire too but it's unknown to me. Is this complete? It looks like it should have a battery in it or something...

There are 3 pins on the side of the condenser, and there's no continuity between any one of them and ground. The unit ground is good all the way back to the ground pin on the plug.

I tried to attach photos for more info, but can't figure out how. (The Attachments button above doesn't seem to do anything.)Can someone please advise as to a best course of action? (Of course I could always find a newer beer fridge on Craigs List, but I kinda like to keep things running if I can...)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:55:21 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hello.

If there is no continuity between the three compressor pins it means that the winding are burnt out and it's the time for a new fridge.
Are you sure you measured it correctly?
If you did - it's a bad news.

Simon.
avpro  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:40:45 AM(UTC)
avpro

Groups: Registered

Simon,

Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood me. The three little pins on the condenser unit all show 0 ohms (no resistance) when checking between any combination of those 3 pins. The terminals I was referring to are on the top of the little transformer-looking or coil-like thing that I removed from those pins on the side of the condenser.

(I wish I could figure how to send you a pic, but the "Insert Image" button wants me to enter the URL of the image and the image is on my desktop, not the internet.)

T'm guessing now that the little round gadget with 2 red wires attached is actually a relay that used to have a cover on it, but doesn't anymore.?

Anyway, I'm hoping that you'll respond and say that since the condenser's 3 pins still measure 0 ohms, then installing part # AP3119970 will get the ol' fridge up and chillin' once again.

One more little tidbit of info: When I first looked under the fridge, I noticed that a little plastic bag had somehow become jammed into the fan that's supposed to blow on the condenser. Removing the bag got the fan going again, but the fridge still didn't get cool; it just cycled that relay for about 10 seconds every minute or so.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to your reply.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:40:46 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Give it your best shot - install that relay/overload kit

Part number: AP3119970
Part number: AP3119970

Good luck.Post the results.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply