Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Renael  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:10:56 PM(UTC)
Renael

Groups: Registered

My fridge has been working non-stop for 15 years. Last week I noticed water from the freezer side leaking into my floor, food was going soft. I looked up solutions and one of them was to set the thermostat to colder and listen for the compressor to start, other was to clean he coils.

I turned the thermostat, heard the compressor start and the freezer started working. Next day it stopped again, I cleaned all the coils (which were filthy) unplugged the fridge, left it for a couple of hours and replugged it.

Not working at all, any suggestions as to what may have happened in just 24 hours? I tried the thermostat setting to coldest and nothing. No fan, no compressor.

Help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:29:58 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.

When you say "Not working at all," do you also mean that the interior lights do not work?

How long did you wait for the unit to start after you re-connected power.
If you were in a defrost cycle it would normally be about 30 minutes before the compressor etc. re-started.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Renael  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 3:54:25 PM(UTC)
Renael

Over the last week it has been erratic. It stops, starts after freezer has defrosted, won't start and when I reset the thermostat it doesn't click (is it supposed to?) in the last 24 hours, I left it at coldest setting and it has stayed on, however, the refrigerator part is colder than normal and the freezer is about normal.

Lights turn on, everything else seems to be Ok. I did clean the coils in the bottom of the fridge which were filthy.

Thanks for your help.
RichardMark  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:11:01 PM(UTC)
RichardMark

do you have warranty period left of it if it is so then take it to the service center as soon as possible. click here >>> REI Coupon Code
Renael  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:54:57 PM(UTC)
Renael

I've had it for 15 years. I doubt my warranty would run that long. Any good ideas on what could be wrong? I was told by a repairman (before knowing all I've told you) that it would cost me +$300 to fix it. He never asked what were the symptoms.
Renael  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:56:08 PM(UTC)
Renael

It's a side by side refrigerator, I can't put it on the back of my car and take it in.
denman  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:56:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Kenmore Refrigerator 10657051791 - AppliancePartsPros.com

The Sears parts site does have part breakdown diagrams. They do not like sharing these with others parts sellers.

I cannot find a wiring diagram for this unit so have to do a bit of guessing.

[COLOR="Blue"]It stops, starts after freezer has defrosted,[/COLOR]
I am assuming from the above that the defrost cycle runs OK and you do not have to do anything to the defrost timer to get the ubnit running again.

[COLOR="Blue"] won't start and when I reset the thermostat it doesn't click (is it supposed to?)[/COLOR]
Some do and some do not .

[COLOR="Blue"] in the last 24 hours, I left it at coldest setting and it has stayed on, however, the refrigerator part is colder than normal and the freezer is about normal.[/COLOR]
The freezer should be 0 to 5 degrees F and the fresh food side should be about 40 degrees F.
If you lower the temperature setting does the compressor shut Off and does it start to cycle like it should.

That the unit will actually get colder than is normal tells you that the sealed system is OK.
Your description seems to point to a bad main temperature control thermostat at least that is what I would replace.

Click on the picture for more info on the part.
Part number: AP3037004
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply