Discuss

Why does a Freezer Ice Up?

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by Yanni10 Hi All, These are the reason I found out why a deep freeze ices up. 1.

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Why does a Freezer Ice Up?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Senior Expert

Joe / APP Team is on a distinguished road
Brand: -other-   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni10 View Post
Hi All,

These are the reason I found out why a deep freeze ices up.

1. The temperature is set too low
2. The freezer door is not closed properly so warm air gets inside and freezes.
3. Hot food is put in the freezer so the steam from the hot food ices up.
4. The rubber of the freezer door is broken so warm air seeps into the freezer and freezes.

Are there any other reasons why a freezer might ice up?

Best regards Yanni
Yanni, You've got the majority of the information correct. You need to remember, depending on the style and configuration of the freezer, some frost or ice is normal (1/8 to 1/4 inch). Some freezers do have a defrost system with a timer, heater, and thermostat, and would allow an excess of frost or ice if that system fails. You didn't supply a model number, so you'll probably want to stick with the basics for now.

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Hi Joe

Thank you for the information. I don't know the make or model of the freezer as it's my girlfriends freezer and I haven't checked yet what the make and model is.
It's a fridge/freezer the top is a fridge and the bottom is a freezer, it's 10 years old or older, do the old freezers have a defrost system with a timer, heater and thermostat?

Best regards Yanni
That's a different machine, sounds like you're working on a "bottom mount" refrigerator. In that case, Yes there will be a defrost system with a timer(control) , heater and thermostat.
Make sure the freezer door is closing and sealing to the cabinet front flange properly, and get a model number so we can advise you properly.

Joe M. APP TEAM

Find Appliance Parts at AppliancePartsPros.com - Largest inventory in the U.S. with 91% of all in-stock orders delivered within 2 business days. Thousands of photos and diagrams make it very easy to find the right part. Enter your appliance model here.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Hi Joe

Thank you for the information.

It's a KiC fridge/freezer, the model number has worn off the fridge. On its compressor it says "FN91017G Matsushita Electric Industry".

Does this fridge/freezer have a defrost system?

Can this fridge/freezer turn itself from 3 to 7(control button) by itself.

If it can, how do you stop the fridge from turning itself to 7?

Best regards Yanni
Yanni,
We have no service or parts information regarding KIC refrigerators. We can't properly or safely advise you on testing or checking components in the refrigerator, without it. We have a feeling this may be an "export" machine, where are you located?

Joe M. APP TEAM

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Thanks for the help you have given me already Joe.

I am based in Cape Town, South Africa

The temperature of the fridge/freezer was turned down too low and Joe I looked at the rubber on the freezer door as you recommended I do and because the fridge/freezer is so old, the rubber of the freezer door doesn't stick properly anymore to the freezer and it looks like air seeps into the freezer. The freezer will have to be de-ice as soon as lot of ice build up in the freezer because the freezer is more than 10 years old I think, and I am not sure I will find a new rubber for the freezer door, but I will try.

Best regards Yanni
Yanni,
I had a feeling it was something like that. We wouldn't have access to the parts or service information you need, here in the USA. Don't know how things work in South Africa, but would think you could contact a "local" appliance servicer, and he may be able to cross reference a freezer door gasket, and get you a part.

Good Luck

Joe M. APP TEAM

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Senior Expert

Quote:
Hi Joe

I am sure I can find a universal rubber for the fridge if I need to. Suppliers of household appliances in South Africa generally keep parts for washing machines up to 10 years and I would guess it would be the same for fridges/freezers. You can find some universal parts, I found a universal part for a washing machine which was more than 10 years old. I changed the inlet valve of a Defy washing machine that was 15 years old and the washing machine is working perfectly now.

It is not worth fixing kettles in South Africa, if you have to buy parts because the parts are about the same price as a cheap new kettle. Some appliances are worth fixing, other appliances aren't worth fixing.

Thanks for your help again.

Best regards Yanni
Yanni, Yes, that applies everywhere, especially in the appliance repair business. Sometimes you have to "cut your losses". If you can find a "universal" part, it should solve your issue.

Joe M. APP TEAM

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.