Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nick 095  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:40:11 AM(UTC)
Nick 095

Groups: Registered

The freezer is frosting and the refrigerator is getting warmer. The defrost coil and t stat seem to test ok with no ac power to them. Both circuits closed, hot wire to coil, draws about 4. 9 amps.

I believe the adaptive defrost board is bad. However, if replaced will that clear the frost or will I have to shut the unit down?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:48:20 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

I would manually defrost it when I replaced the defrost control board.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:49:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
This site shows a manual defrost timer, probably behind the control panel. Turn it till the compressor stops, then check for defrost action. If so, replace the defrost timer.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 9:54:58 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Interesting...I have found some models show a defrost timer in the parts diagram, but do in fact use a adaptive defrost board.

If that is the case look for the part number on the board to get the correct one ordered.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 10:18:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

If it has an adaptive defrost board, you can get the manual defrost procedure at www.applianceaid.com will show two procedures, one should work.
Nick 095  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 11:49:10 AM(UTC)
Nick 095

Groups: Registered

First off, thank you, everyone for the help. Yes my Adaptive defrost board is bad and I have yet to repair it, two manual defrosts since then. additionally, a good coil cleaning and lowering the stats and not opening it too much has helped.

That being said, I think the Adaptive board is way too expensive and I was thinking of retrofitting it to a mechanical timer. Perhaps someone has done this before? I would probably have to switch the wiring but it is identifiable and I also traced it through to the coil and stat. The older mechanical timers seem to have the same form factor to screw it into place.

Has anyone one this?
ApplianceJunk  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 12:00:20 PM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

If you use the defrost timer for this model as richappy pointed out this site shows then all you should have to do is plug the timer in the same way the adaptive defrost control board is. Done it a few times myself in the past, not much to it really.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 3:15:06 PM(UTC)
richappy

Yes Appliancejunk is right, a mechanical timer can be used in this model. This refrigerator is only consuming less than $12 a month in energy due to superior insulation and a very efficient compressor.
The adaptive defrost in "normal" conditions (excluding a very hot and humid condition" will not save a lot of energy compared to a mechanical timer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply