Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scaskey  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 7:23:11 PM(UTC)
scaskey

Groups: Registered

This freezer suddenly went from working to only cooling down to 35°F one day. Evap coils not frozen up and only first row of pipe has frost. Bypassed defrost timer and compressor running but still not cooling. Replaced thermostat control, and defrost thermostat switch, same result. Installed pierce vale in low side. When compressor turns on (50 psi) it pulls down to around 0 psi and then unit will run forever due to no cold coils. I added about 2oz of freon to the system and no change. When compressor is turned off manually at 0 psi it won't kick back on until 50 psi. I added about 3-4 more oz of freon and no change. I then removed all freon, evacuated the system for 1 hour. loaded about 1/2 Lb. of freon (134a) and now the system draws down to 25in Hg on the guage when the compressor is on and never comes back up even when the unit is powered down, absolutely no chill on the evap coils at all, not a stitch.... ugh. Removed start relay and thermal switch and both test good (just for kicks) WTH? Is this thing clogged? How to fix if it is? Need Help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 3:17:30 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you are measuring a high vacumm on the low side, your compressor is probably ok.
Did you purge out the air from the gauge and hoses. If not, you might have a capillary clog. The syptoms would be low current draw, and just a warm compressor.
Monitor the compressor current while charging, a current rise, then fall after charging would indicate a evaporator leak. Also, if the high side tubing gets hot, then cool, that would indicate a leak.
scaskey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 7:48:14 AM(UTC)
scaskey

Groups: Registered

Richappy, Thanks for the feedback on this. I figured the compressor was ok with the high vacuum, if there is a clog (I think there must be as even if there was a small leak the evaporator would at least get cold for a little while) how would I clear a clog? It must be in the capillary before the evaporator because there is no frost whatsoever anywhere on the system.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:08:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If there is moisture in the system, you must change the dryer and use one with a service port so you can suck down the high side.
If you did this, you might just have oil in the capillary. Sometimes, you can clear this with heat from a propane torch, just be careful not to heat it up too much.
Otherwise, you will have to cut the capillary line with a triangular file, then blow it out with nitrogen gas. I used to blow it out with R22, but even though it does not damage the ozone layer, it is illegal now after the Montreal protocol in 1995.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply