Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eaglesfan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:33:58 AM(UTC)
Eaglesfan

Groups: Registered

Have a GE Monogram Wine Mini- Fridge. Noticed it is making a buzzing noise. Pulled it out from under the counter and removed the back cover. No lint or dust build up. The fan is running but the compressor is making a louder than normal buzzing noise and it's fairly hot to the touch.

When i turn it off and let it cool--then start it back up it runs quiet for a while (30 Min) then goes back to being noisy.

The fridge is cool.

The only additional thing i can point out is that it never stops running. (i know this because of the sound)Meaning the compressor never seems to cycle. Which is why i think its getting hot.

Is there a thermostat or a computer board that could be faulty? Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Eaglesfan  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:49:51 AM(UTC)
Eaglesfan

Groups: Registered

OK--searched through the forum, not too many mini fridge problems that are similar, there is no clicking noise or compressor shut down, my compressor is constantly running---so i will list some of my ideas:

- Could be a bad compressor, if the sealed system has lost freon it would cause the compressor to run constantly ( as is the case here) ---if this is the problem the fridge would be junk.

- Possible thermostat or temp control problem. Not sure how to test this. This model fridge does not have a digital read out. what do you think?

- I'll throw out another. Since i've had to replace the control board on two GE and one kitchen aid fridge over the past two years (thanks to this forum they are all working perfectly now) could there be a control board issue? Does this fridge even have a control board?

- Thoughts?? Thanks in advance...
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:23:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the operators manual. take a look at page 13 to see what noises they say are normal.
http://products.geapplia...&Name=49-60430-2.PDF

Here are your parts
Parts for GE ZDBC240NABS Wine Beverage Cooler - AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]When i turn it off and let it cool--then start it back up it runs quiet for a while (30 Min) then goes back to being noisy.[/COLOR]
Could be it is just running too long and is overheating causing the compressor to run hot.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The fridge is cool.[/COLOR]
Check the temperature with a thermometer. manual says it should be about 45 degrees F at mid point setting.
Also check your door seals. Place a 2 inch wide piece of paper between the seal and the frame and then pull it out to see how good the seal is. Work your way around the door. Also check that the hinge side is closing properly, sometimes they can grab and twist rewsulting in a poor seal. A light coating of white lithium greas or vaseline should solve this.
[COLOR="Blue"]
The only additional thing i can point out is that it never stops running. (i know this because of the sound)Meaning the compressor never seems to cycle. Which is why i think its getting hot.[/COLOR]
I agree with you here although the manual does say it will run more than many other units.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Is there a thermostat or a computer board that could be faulty?[/COLOR]
No it looks like it uses a thermostat (item 112 in section 02 of the parts)

[COLOR="Blue"]- Could be a bad compressor, if the sealed system has lost freon it would cause the compressor to run constantly ( as is the case here) ---if this is the problem the fridge would be junk.[/COLOR]
Yes, it is not worth throwing the dollars for a service call (repair and recharge) at it
[COLOR="Blue"]
- Possible thermostat or temp control problem. Not sure how to test this. This model fridge does not have a digital read out. what do you think?[/COLOR]
Could be that the thermostat is no good. Check the units temperature if it is too low then this is a possible cause.

[COLOR="Blue"]- I'll throw out another. Since i've had to replace the control board on two GE and one kitchen aid fridge over the past two years (thanks to this forum they are all working perfectly now) could there be a control board issue? Does this fridge even have a control board?[/COLOR]
No control board so it does not apply.

PS: On your other units it is a good idea to have a 1000 joule surge protector on them. Sounds like you may have spikes on the line. You may have already done this.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply