Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cmw101  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:54:50 PM(UTC)
cmw101

Groups: Registered

I need the help from experts here. We have a new frigidaire gallery french door model with bottom freezer. A couple of times per day it gets into a cycle of repetitive and loud clicking noises. It will click and then click again, everything goes off except internal lights (no fans, noises, etc except repeated clicking sound). Every minute it continues to click for around ten minutes and then finally one last click comes followed by the fridge running again.
A repair man was sent to look at it. He is not familiar with these models and never had to repair one so he spoke with frigidaire tech support. He ran a test which went through the functions on the fridge and at one time I heard the click sound. I told him and he blew me off saying it was normal and that many things can be causing clicking noises. I asked him what test he ran when I heard that sound and he said it was the defrost function.
Ironically he also had to clean frost buildup off the back wall over the ice maker but he said it was normal to see frost there because the ice maker will allow steam to build up frost there.
Anyway, I would love any input on what this sound could be. I uploaded a couple of videos that captured the cycle of clicks and the last click that shows the fridge starting up again after the last minute.
He thinks it is just random clicking... and it is normal. I cant believe that this noise could be a normal function of this fridge! If it is then I am shocked more people don't complain because I can hear it at night and it drives me crazy!

Please check out the videos and offer ideas... Thanks!
Video 1- http://youtu.be/f-clclJcmCM
Video 2-http://youtu.be/4BEdoFPt3AM
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:20:02 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

What I think you are hearing is the expending defrost heater or metal, or plastic around it while the fridge is in defrost cycle.Some of the refrigerators do make cracking noises when defrosting. I wouldn't call it "normal", but it's going to be tough to argue that issue with Frigidaire.

Simon.
cmw101  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:29:56 PM(UTC)
cmw101

Thanks Simon for responding and helping out with this. I know it may be hard to hear exactly on the video but the distinct switch click happens two times in a row then it waits for one minute exactly each time and then clicks again twice and will repeat until it finally switches on the fridge.
It is not random at all and is a distinct switch sound.
Again, thanks and I welcome more insight. The fridge has a 5 year warranty so that part doesn't worry me but the noise bugs me.
cmw101  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:35:13 PM(UTC)
cmw101

The first click happens at 57 seconds into the video and then fast forward a minute from that and the second set of clicks happens and again in a minute.
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:29:45 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

The clicking sound you are describing most likely is coming from the heater relay in the switch control board. Usually it'll indicate the relay is going bad.

Part number: AP4695209
Part number: AP4695209

I assumed that the model number of the fridge is ending with 1.

Simon.
cmw101  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 6:17:19 AM(UTC)
cmw101

Thanks Simon!
I caught most on video again with less background noise. I set it to frigidaire customer service for a tech to review along with the timeline to help them understand the sound I'm hearing. Hopefully they can give me some answers. I believe the initial click of the switch is normal and the last one during defrost period but I find it impossible to believe frigidaire would make a fridge with as many clicks as hear with this fridge! It happens 2-3 times daily when it goes into defrost mode.
Here is a better link with timeline. Clicks may be off by a second or two but otherwise the timeline helps to fast forward through dead air time.

MVI_1243 - YouTube

Timeline to the cycle on film is as follows
-before filming, I heard the initial one click of switch followed by the fridge motor stopping and all goes silent (I assume this is the auto-defrost mode)
-film begins
-at 51 seconds a single click is heard of the switch
-all remains silent
-at 4:50 minutes into film the double clicking noise is now starting... still fridge remains silent
-5:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-6:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-7:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-8:48 minutes double click followed by silence
-9:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-10:49 minutes double click followed by silence
** memory card now is full so it stops recording however the double clicks continue for 3 more cycles (3 more minutes) followed by one minute of silence, a single click of switch and then one minute of silence and finally the fridge starting up again.
ChasZone  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 10:36:08 AM(UTC)
ChasZone

Did you ever figure out what your issue is? I just got my fridge about 2 months ago and I have been noticing the exact noises followed by a fan noise spinning up strangely as well, then it sounds fine.

Originally Posted by: cmw101 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Simon!
I caught most on video again with less background noise. I set it to frigidaire customer service for a tech to review along with the timeline to help them understand the sound I'm hearing. Hopefully they can give me some answers. I believe the initial click of the switch is normal and the last one during defrost period but I find it impossible to believe frigidaire would make a fridge with as many clicks as hear with this fridge! It happens 2-3 times daily when it goes into defrost mode.
Here is a better link with timeline. Clicks may be off by a second or two but otherwise the timeline helps to fast forward through dead air time.

MVI_1243 - YouTube

Timeline to the cycle on film is as follows
-before filming, I heard the initial one click of switch followed by the fridge motor stopping and all goes silent (I assume this is the auto-defrost mode)
-film begins
-at 51 seconds a single click is heard of the switch
-all remains silent
-at 4:50 minutes into film the double clicking noise is now starting... still fridge remains silent
-5:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-6:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-7:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-8:48 minutes double click followed by silence
-9:49 minutes double click followed by silence
-10:49 minutes double click followed by silence
** memory card now is full so it stops recording however the double clicks continue for 3 more cycles (3 more minutes) followed by one minute of silence, a single click of switch and then one minute of silence and finally the fridge starting up again.
cmw101  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 1:43:29 PM(UTC)
cmw101

Frigidaire replaced the fridge with a new one. They said in some models they had issues with excess noise. The new model was an updated version of the same model. It still had the distinct defrost click sound that would cycle but it was so much more quiet.
The clicks I was hearing were defrost cycle clicks. Sadly we ended up leaving the new appliances behind in our old house because we moved... now the kenmore fridge I have in this new house made my gallery fridge noises sound like nothing!
I don't think the switch was a defect after listening to the new model go into defrost mode. It was just much louder than it should have been for some strange reason.
Good luck with yours! Frigidaire was great to deal with.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply