Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cpraud  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 8:47:45 PM(UTC)
cpraud

Groups: Registered

I just picked up a second hand fridge and started using it yesterday and it just completely stopped working tonight, the only thing that works is the lights and the icemachine fan/motor. The fans and compressor stopped and the water filter indicator light keeps flashing a green light on and off. Everytime this light flashes there is a clicking sound on one of the relays on the defrost control board.
I had noticed the fridge not getting cold enough so both fans, inside and underneath, and the compressor have been running steady for the last day.
Where should I start trying to solve the problems? I'm not sure if there is an issue with the control board and whether that has caused the shut down or if it has someting to do with the compressor relays.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cody
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 4:44:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the back screws off the control panel, peal off the front overlay, remove the front screws and tap on the cold control or the adaptive defrost pc board.
Also, unplug, then plug in the connector. If still no function, it may be hung up in defrost. Try one of the two manual defrost procedures at web site www.applianceaid.com, one should put it back into run mode.
If still no-go, try spraying the cold control and the connector with non-residue contact cleaner available at Wall Mart. Just turn the control off and on while spraying.
cpraud  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:10:25 AM(UTC)
cpraud

Thanks I'll give that a try. I took a little closer look at what was clicking when the light flashed and it is the largest rectangular relay in the back right corner of the control panel, could this be the faulty part?
I've tested the thermostat control using an ohm meter and it seems to be functioning properly, 0 reading in the off position and connectivity when turned on so I hope it's not the issue.
Does the control panel control all of fans as well as the compressor? They were all working until this clicking started.
The compressor was running hot as well so I'd like to test that next. Is there an easy way to test the relay for the compressor as well? I had read someplace that you can do it with the relay unplugged from the compressor but with the fridge still plugged in. Then thay said to touch the 3 points with one voltmeter probe while the other is grounded by touching bare metal on the ffridge. Would this work?
Sorry for the million questiond but this has me stumped and my wife is not impressed with having no fridge!
Cody
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:15:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would just order the adaptive defrost board, will come in next day UPS. The compressor running hot is due to either a clogged condenser, or a bad condensing fan. The adaptive defrost board will shut everything down during defrost, your most probable problem.
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:43:04 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cpraud Go to Quoted Post
Thanks I'll give that a try. I took a little closer look at what was clicking when the light flashed and it is the largest rectangular relay in the back right corner of the control panel, could this be the faulty part?
I've tested the thermostat control using an ohm meter and it seems to be functioning properly, 0 reading in the off position and connectivity when turned on so I hope it's not the issue.
Does the control panel control all of fans as well as the compressor? They were all working until this clicking started.
The compressor was running hot as well so I'd like to test that next. Is there an easy way to test the relay for the compressor as well? I had read someplace that you can do it with the relay unplugged from the compressor but with the fridge still plugged in. Then thay said to touch the 3 points with one voltmeter probe while the other is grounded by touching bare metal on the ffridge. Would this work?
Sorry for the million questiond but this has me stumped and my wife is not impressed with having no fridge!
Cody

Cody, As Richappy mentioned, you want to check or replace the control board

Part number: AP5326047
Part number: AP5326047

This board, controls the power circuits to the fans and compressor, as well as the accumulating circuit for the water inlet system, defrost and thermostat. As for testing the compressor, you do need to remove power to the refrigerator, just for safety sake alone. In your case, you do need to remove the overload and relay from the compressor, but you don't have to remove the wires from the components. You also want to check for an "Open" circuit(infinite resistance) between each one of the three(3) terminals and the casing of the compressor (you may need to scratch or remove a small amount of paint from the side of the compressor to test properly. It is normal for compressors to run "hot" after a few minutes of run time. As long as the condenser fan is running, the condenser is clean, and the overload is intact, you'll be OK.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:34:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

It is not normal for the compressor to run hot. It is possible you have other problems.
Compressors will run hot and if sufficiently hot, will shut down on it's thermal overload.
Compressors will run hot if the refrigerant level is low.
I would pull the evaporator back cover off and check the evaporator coils, should be entirely covered with light frost and after a few hours of running, the air coming out the freezer vent should be below zero.
cpraud  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:45:47 AM(UTC)
cpraud

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, but since its second hand and I didn't have it long enough to get a good understanding of all its issues, I'm just going to give it to a local appliance shop for parts and pick up a new one. I'm just worried there may be a bigger problem and its just not worth sinking any real money into it.
Thanks again.
Cody
richappy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:51:33 AM(UTC)
richappy

Usually, if it's low on refrigerant, it's not worth fixing.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply