Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DouglasSimi  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 1:48:13 PM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

Groups: Registered

My issue is the fresh food side won’t cool properly. History of the unit and repairs. Since summer time 2012, the freezer would bounce between 0-10 on a normal basis, and the fridge was usually 42-49, with the temp controls set at 0 and 37. Finally got tired of food spoiling, and decided to start tearing into it. Through research, found a bad defrost heater element, one end was burnt. Replaced, and started keeping a very close eye on temps now. Freezer improved, but fresh food side did not. Took the next logical plunge, and replaced the system board. A week or so later, fridge went bezerk, started running all the time, temps displayed were 20 freezer and 80 fresh food. At the same time, everything in the fridge was freezing, which is what causes me now to be baffled, as I know it has the ability to keep things cold to the point of freezing them. Found it to be a bad fresh food thermistor, located in the side wall of the fresh food compartment. Replaced it and when things got back to my normal, -3 to 10 freezer and 42-49 fresh food, I also replaced the same thermistor in the freezer section in the side panel. Things have not improved. I had stocked the fridge a week ago and the freezer, left the door closed for 48 hours and then checked temps, -3 freezer, and 45 fresh food. My only other thoughts are to replace the two remaining thermistors, and the defrost thermostat. I know the doors seal well, and I have even checked to make sure that the lights aren’t staying on causing it to heat up, and again, the fact I found from the bad thermistors, it has the ability to freeze food in the fresh food section, so something is telling it to not cool enough....[COLOR="Red"]Please read completly...[/COLOR]....someone suggested the temperature control board, and someone has suggested the evap fan....the reason why i question both of these, is, when the fresh food thermistor was repalced, all the fresh food side was frozed, and the fridge was running non stop, and was told at that time to replace the temp control board, because the temp inside the unit was not reflected on the display correctly, as the food was frozen but the display said it was 80 deg. Yes i replaced the thermistor, and the temp control panel now reads the correct temp for what it is inside the fridge
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:54:54 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So your fridg. temperature is normal now and not running constantly?
DouglasSimi  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:12:34 AM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

No...it's not cooling...temps are all over the place...freezer is between -6 and 10...fridge is 46-49...and the fresh food can runs constantly.....

The part that is confusing to me is, two weeks ago before the two thermistors were replaced, it was freezing all the fresh food side items...yet was reading that is was 80...so I guess my though is, it has the ability to cool properly and then some, but it's not able to regulate the cooling.

So before I replace the temperature control board that has been suggested, my thought is to replace the other two thermistors on the freezer and fresh food coils and the defrost thermostat. What do you think.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:57:31 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would drop and let hang the interface board in the fridg. section and spray any connectors with non-residue contact cleaner available at Wall Mart. Unplug and plug in any connectors while spraying, might solve your problem.
Before doing this you might tap on it to see if it acts up.
DouglasSimi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:02:09 AM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

I'll give that a try...it seems to me like its for lack of a better term has it's wires crossed somewhere...since it was freezing things, and now with the new thermistors the fridge temps match the displayed temps, if I didn't cover that earlier, that when the thermistor were replaced, the fridge was. Freezing food but the display read 80...and that problem was fixed by the thermistors
DouglasSimi  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 6:53:28 AM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

Im in the process of spraying the board with the contact cleaner, and tapping it, and the like, and i unplugged it to do the cleaning, i left the fridge on while doing this, and with the board unplugged, there is no change in the operation of the fresh food cooling fan running constantly. Just a side note, ill post back in an hour when i put the board back and and reset the fridge
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 7:49:03 AM(UTC)
richappy

I was informed before, if you left the temp control board unplugged, the fridg. should default to the factory settings of fridg 41, freezer 5 degrees
DouglasSimi  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:03:48 AM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

I've reinstalled it, and it is showing the indicated temps for what the actual temps are...but when it is set at 0 freezer and 37 fridge, all it sounds like it is doing is running the evap fan in the fridge...if I turn on turbo cool and express chill, the fans kick to high...but it doesn't seem to cool, so it seems to me, outside of the door that sends the cold freezer air to the fresh food section , which I have preformed the test and verified it opens and closes when it gets the command, and again, it has in the last two weeks gotten cold enough in the fresh food side to freeze everything, it's not that it doesn't posses the ability to cool, but that whatever should be telling it to send the cold to the fresh food side isn't getting that signal. Am I totally looking in the wrong area thinking the thermistors on the freezer and fresh food coils could be bad, since I had other bad thermistors, and have already replaced the system board(which did nothing)

Based on my very limited knowledge of how this fridge operates, the temp control panel to me, just sends the info of what you want the fridge to do to the system board, and it(the system board) in turn, sends the needed info out to the fridge components as to what function they need to preform to achieve the setting you have told it you want through the temp control panel, or....does the panel process the commands and tell the system board what to do??

It's my lack of understanding that keeps me questioning why the temp control board....more so with the other problems that it has exhibited and that have been fixed first by the defrost element being replaced, and second the replacement of the two thermistors that are located in the grills with the shunt sensors attached the the walls of both fresh food and freezer section
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:05:05 AM(UTC)
richappy

Check the compressor in the back, might be overheating and shutting down on it's thermal overload.
DouglasSimi  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:03:42 PM(UTC)
DouglasSimi

Nope, compressor cycles normal, and in theory, has to be working someone normal , as the freezer side is between -6 to +3, unless it's going through a defrost, what parts tell the fridge to send the cold air into the fresh food section. cause i know when the thermistor was bad, i was getting tons of cold air, as the fresh food side was 29 deg, today the fresh food side has been as low as 43 and as high as 50....and the ambient temp in the house is 45, as we live in Wisconsin and i like it cold....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply