Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobafett  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:43:46 AM(UTC)
bobafett

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I have a 7 year old KitchenAid Superba which has worked fine until recently the ice machine stopped making ice. The water portion still pours out water. An image of the fridge water/ice dispenser is below:

UserPostedImage

I think the water inlet tube is frozen. I turned off the freezer/fridge (unplugged it) for a few hours. This didn't help the situation.

The copper water line into the back of the fridge is fine (it isn't frozen and isn't leaking). The fridge is functioning fine otherwise. The freezer switch inside the freezer is turned to the "On" position.

Then I thought I would check out water tube inside the freezer. In order to do this I removed the motor/ice tray:

UserPostedImage

The water tube is the black tube on the top right of this image.

The motor/ice tray component is here in case you are wondering and it appears fine although I haven't cracked the plastic case to inspect the motor yet:

UserPostedImage

I have inserted a blunt plastic straw instrument into the water line:

UserPostedImage

Wasn't sure how deep the straw should go in. I didn't want to force it so this is as far as I could insert it (my thumb marks the depth). I assume it should go in a lot further. There was a little bit of ice on the tip of the straw as I removed it.

UserPostedImage

I am assuming the problem is that the water line is frozen.

I have already turned off the fridge (unplugged it) for a few hours which didn't work. Any other ideas? Thinking about sticking a blowdryer on the hole for a while to see if the ice melts. Not too keen on chipping away inside with a sharp instrument (screwdriver?) as I do not want to damage it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.