Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cambrosn  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:15:02 PM(UTC)
cambrosn

Groups: Registered

My GE Side-by-side freezer goes into the defrost cycle and stays there way too long. The ice melts and refreezes into a big chunk, some frozen foods get soft and refreeze multiple times. It always comes back out of the defrost cycle though.

I replaced the motherboard as was suggested in multiple posts and I thought it was working fine until about 24 hours after I plugged it back in. It did the same thing. My next shot is the defrost limiter thermostat.

My question is, with a bad defrost limiter thermostat, would the defrost cycle ever stop? That's why I thought it was a bad motherboard. I figured if the thermostat never opened up, it wouldn't tell the computer to stop defrosting. Maybe the metal strips in the thermo got corroded some how and are set to a much higher temperature.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:10:41 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

There is the temperature sensor, mounted on the top of the evaporator coil.This sensor is overlooking the defrost cycle. The defrost limiter is more safety then cycling devise. Replace the evaporator sensor

Part number: WR55X10025
Part number: WR55X10025

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Freezer Section parts for GE GSH25JFTABB - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.
cambrosn  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:11:14 PM(UTC)
cambrosn

I replaced the defrost thermostat and now just have to wait for the cycle to get there I guess. However, I tested the thermostat for continuity. After sitting in a glass of ice and salt water for several minutes it read 0.2 ohms. I then sat it in hot water running from the tap (hot enough for me to not want to hold my hand there) for several minutes and it read the same.

Also, the old thermo rattles when I shake it. I'm assuming everything in there should be fairly solid.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:21:17 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That is a special thermostat that opens above 125 degrees.Rather rare it shorts, but possible. Most probable problem is the evaporator thermistor, a long, thin, plastic item clipped to the top of the evaporator. I would replace both items.
cambrosn  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:18:00 AM(UTC)
cambrosn

Thanks. I ordered the thermistor and will replace it when it gets here. I'll post the results.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:46:22 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Please do so.

Good luck.

Simon.
cambrosn  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:14:17 AM(UTC)
cambrosn

Just replaced the thermistor and am waiting on the fridge's cycle to get to the defrost portion. The old thermistor, however, had no continuity at room temperature or in a glass of ice water. I think this may have been the problem.
cambrosn  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:05:41 PM(UTC)
cambrosn

Several days now and no problems at all. The thermistor did the trick.

Even with ordering two incorrect parts (one of which I was able to return), this repair only cost me around $40. If I would have asked someone on the forum, it would have been about $15. Hiring someone would be easily $150 or more. I love this website! To date, saved me several hundred dollars and earned me a ton of man-points with the wife.
Simon / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:37:55 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Good work!

Enjoy the special points...

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply