Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cuttymcgavin  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 2:37:50 PM(UTC)
cuttymcgavin

Groups: Registered

Hey everyone, my fridge is cool but not enough to keep things cold. Freezer and ice maker are working. Figured the ducts were iced up and blocking the transfer of air but they are real clean. The evaperator fan does kick on but doesnt make that humming ound Iam used to hearing (like a normal running freezer). I do notice the fan twitches back and forth before starting and sometimes just twitches without turning on. The evaperator coils in the freezer get cold but I think its either the evaperator motor fan that may be shot or is there some sort of relay switch that could be bad or mother board or some electronic device that would be causing this problem??? Plese Help!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:36:21 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

You should open the rear panel in the freezer to get the access to the evaporator coils and the motor.
First check if the coils are blocked with snow all the way through or just on the top.
The snow only on the top will indicate the motor getting bad.
The completely blocked evaporator points to the defrost problem.

If the motor is slower then usual, check what is the voltage at the disconnect plug. The normal should be about 115VAC. If the voltage is good and the motor is acting up - replace it Part number: 2315539
Part number: 2315539

It's highly recommended to replace the motor with control board at the same time, because bad motor may damage the control.

The control board Part number: 2304146
Part number: 2304146

Post the results.

Simon.
cuttymcgavin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:56:11 AM(UTC)
cuttymcgavin

thank you simon!!!

I did as you said (all but check voltage) I dont have a meter. There is small frost build up on the evaperator coils. No blockages. The freezer is not running strong I placed a loaf of bread in there last night and this morning it was partialy frozen. The cold is not enough to get into the fridge section. Where is the control board located? i think I will start by replacing both parts as you indicated.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:31:23 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

It's very important to know exactly the frost pattern on the coils. Is it evenly covered all the way through?

Simon.
cuttymcgavin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:14:19 AM(UTC)
cuttymcgavin

yes it was evenly distributed amomg the coils. No ice build up, just small frost particles. Freezer seems to be doing fine, i placed some chicken in there last night and its frozen solid this morning. I do recall having a power outage last week, iam wondering if a surge disrupted the control board. The evaperator fan seems to come on but still twitches but I dont think its comming on at full speed. It used to make a whirling noise like a normal running freezer or fridge but it no longer does. Should i do the control board and evaperator motor? Is the control board located behind the freezer backplate? There is something back there covered in a velcro sleave. I didnt undo it to examine what it was.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:22:02 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Go ahead and replace the motor and control board. The board should be inside the control panel in the refrigerator, not in the freezer.

Post the results.

Simon.
cuttymcgavin  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:26:00 AM(UTC)
cuttymcgavin

Thank you simon, i looked up a schematic online and found where the control board is in the fridge. I ordered the two parts today and will post the results!!!!
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:14:42 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply