Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
akstens  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:09:10 AM(UTC)
akstens

Groups: Registered

New one week old fridge question: Freezer works fine (5 F) when its dial is set just a bit colder than normal, but fridge part needs to be dialed almost all the way to maximum cool to get it down to 38 F. Is this acceptable or should I call and complain?
Fridge is full, no air flow is blocked. Defrost works, fan works. Door seals good. Lights turn off when door closes.

My understanding is the frdige dial simply controls an air baffle, so as long as I can adjust it to get 38 degrees it shouldn't matter how high/low I need to set the dial. On the other hand it seems strange that a normal dial setting doesn't produce 38 F (it produces about 42 F).
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:14:13 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: akstens Go to Quoted Post
New one week old fridge question: Freezer works fine (5 F) when its dial is set just a bit colder than normal, but fridge part needs to be dialed almost all the way to maximum cool to get it down to 38 F. Is this acceptable or should I call and complain?
Fridge is full, no air flow is blocked. Defrost works, fan works. Door seals good. Lights turn off when door closes.

My understanding is the frdige dial simply controls an air baffle, so as long as I can adjust it to get 38 degrees it shouldn't matter how high/low I need to set the dial. On the other hand it seems strange that a normal dial setting doesn't produce 38 F (it produces about 42 F).

Akstens, In your case, a top mount refrigerator, the cold control, in the refrigerator compartment controls the temperature. It is not a "baffle", air from the freezer compartment "drops"' down into the air damper, where the end of the temperature control is located, and control cycles the compressor on and off as needed, based on the air temperature in the damper.
Most cold controls are preset to deliver 38 dgrs.F(+/- 2 dgrs.) when set at the recommended (mid way) settings. The freezer is 0 dgrs.(+/- 2 dgrs) when set. The product temperature in the compartments are usually 2 to 3 dgrs. lower than the air temperature after 24 to 48 hours.When you are making adjustments to the temperature controls, you have to wait 24 hours between settings, to allow for the temperature to equalize.
You may want to reset the controls , wait 24 hours and check the product temps with a pocket thermometer ( a can of soda, jar of pickles, etc.and a bag of frozen vegetables works well in the freezer).Then adjust the control, and wait 24 hours, and recheck the temps. recheck the temperature in a few days, If the temperatures were not maintained, then call the servicer.
akstens  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:53:56 PM(UTC)
akstens

Groups: Registered

Thanks Joe.
If I understand your reply correctly, the dial in the fresh food section is the main temperature control and runs the compressor based on temps in the damper area. What does the dial in the freezer control?
In my fridge, is the damper a purely passive fixed thing, or does something open and close it?
Thanks again Joe!
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 5:17:32 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: akstens Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Joe.
If I understand your reply correctly, the dial in the fresh food section is the main temperature control and runs the compressor based on temps in the damper area. What does the dial in the freezer control?
In my fridge, is the damper a purely passive fixed thing, or does something open and close it?
Thanks again Joe!

Akstens, Correct, The refrigerator temperature control is the "main" control and runs the compressor.The dial in the freezer controls a "flap" inside the air tunnel which increases or decreases the air flow into the freezer compartment. Just remember, the colder the freezer, the less air movement to the refrigerator.
As you said, the damper is a "passive fixed thing", there are no dampers or doors, etc. The damper consists of a styrofoam block with directional openings to disperse the air in different directions throughout the refrigerator compartment.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply