Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
progmac  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:38:43 PM(UTC)
progmac

Groups: Registered

I picked up this freezer for free. It is a low-end non defrost 7 cubic foot freezer. Newish. I am not experienced with freezers but have repaired this and that over the years. When I plug it in, the compressor makes low-level noise and gets hot. The freezer doesn't get cold...it certainly doesn't freeze. Some condensation happens inside so it might get a very little bit below room temperature.

My initial thought is starter relay. There is another part i'm not familiar with but I imagine is standard.

Haier freezer compressor parts - YouTube

sorry i don't just have a picture. my digital camera is on the fritz.

My questions:

1 - do the symptoms (hot compressor, very little to no cooling) seem consistent with a broken starter relay?
2 - what is the part that isn't the starter relay shown in the video?
3 - the relay says 'cubigel SA' 'A1A6' on it; the other part says 'C414' - are replacement parts standardized or hard to find?

thanks so much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

progmac  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:47:34 PM(UTC)
progmac

OP here

After some more investigating, some amount of cooling is happening. The coils coming out of the compressor (they go into a sealed wall) are frosty cold. The inside of the freezer is cool but not cold. Now i'm thinking this must have a leak somewhere. Certainly beyond my ability to fix if that is the case.

Thoughts?
progmac  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:30:58 AM(UTC)
progmac

just a quick bump to see if anyone has thoughts.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:11:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It is a Haier so I cannot find any info on it.

It sounds like the compressor is running OK as you are getting some cooling.
It may be overly hot because it is running continuously.
You should be able to feel it vibrating.

Remove the cover in side the freezer so that you can inspect the evaporator coils.

If they are iced/frosted over to the point where the fan cannot pull air through them, you have a defrost problem.

If they just have frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils), you have a sealed system problem. Probably low on freon.
Below is a good site, take a look at the example pictures part, about half way down the page.
http://www.applianceaid.com/refrigerator-not-cold-enough.php

If it is low freon then it will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. There is not use adding freon until the leak is found and repaired.
Often it makes more sense to put the dollars towards a new unit.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
progmac  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 4:22:50 AM(UTC)
progmac

thank you for replying! unfortunately i cannot inspect the coils. the panels are glued to the insulation and i think the coils are integrated in that somehow. it is a manual defrost model. i think this one is going out to the curb.

i would say this haier is more or less a piece of junk. of course i got it for free so no harm no foul.

what's a decent servicable freezer to look for as a replacement? (under 10 cubic feet)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply