Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cool penguin  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 12:12:54 PM(UTC)
cool penguin

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator was making a little more noise than usual last week and now will not run at all. I did some online research, removed the start relay which appeared to be solid state, shook it and did not hear any rattling so I presumed it was ok. Next was the temp control. I tested it with a multimeter and got no reading at all, both all the way up and all the way off. I got a new temp control part and tested it first and it checked out. I replaced the part, plugged the fridge back in and it still wont start. The light comes on but theree is no other activity, no clicks, no fan turning on, nothing. I am at my wits end with this, any advice would be most appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 3:33:28 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

HI.

Locate the defrost timer inside the controls cover in the refrigerator and using the flat screwdriver slowly turn the shaft CW until the fridge comes a life. In that case - replace the timer Part number: 67001036
Part number: 67001036

Here are the breakdown diagram and 04-Controls parts for Maytag MBB1952HEW - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.
cool penguin  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 9:45:43 PM(UTC)
cool penguin

I turned the defrost timer too far if anything and still no signs of life. I heard an audible click from the timer twice as i kept turning but I am not sure if that meant i should keep turning or if i broke the timer. Actually looking at it closer it appears that i did break it and now can't even screw it back where it was before. Anything else I can try before throwing this fridge in the trash as I have about had it with this thing?
cool penguin  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2013 10:40:58 PM(UTC)
cool penguin

A late update. Turns out I am an idiot and I had put the old bad temp control back in the fridge instead of the new good one I bought today. I put the new good one in after realizing this and after a few minutes, the fridge started to work! I unplugged it though because I figured I had destroyed the defrost timer and was afraid it might stay permanently on. Do you think my defrost timer is destroyed or could I possibly try to return it to its previous state?
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:51:48 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

I don't know what did you break but you can test it by letting the fridge work for one hr and then slowly turn the shaft until it'll click and the fridge suppose to stop.If it does that - you are good.
Make sure it's gonna come back on.:)

Simon.
cool penguin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:07:36 PM(UTC)
cool penguin

Unfortunately the groove in the timer where you adjust it with the screw seems to have broken so I can't even adjust it anymore. Guess that answers my question about whether I need a new one :(
Simon / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:15:18 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Replace the timer and post the results.

Simon.
cool penguin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:24:31 PM(UTC)
cool penguin

I replaced the timer and now all is well. Thanks for the quick replies!
Simon / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:40:16 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

You are very welcome.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply