Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
d_rogers@charter.net  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:03:43 PM(UTC)
d_rogers@charter.net

Groups: Registered

My 13 yr old freezer won't stop running. I do not think it is the compressor. It sounds like the fan in the freezer. Nothing is frozen up, not the fan, the coils etc. It cool down to 0 degrees F at a setting of 4 as it always has. If I back the thermostat down to 3-ish, it clicks and shuts off but then the freezer warms up a bit, say 10 degrees F. I checked the defrosting element for continuity and all I can say is I should have bought a better ohm meter. But it does move the needle and there is no frost or ice so I think it is safe to say the element is OK. That about sums up my freezer knowledge. I am a bit frustrated. I am leaning towards I have a failing but not completely broken thermostat but would appreciate any advice before I order one.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:19:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

The fan in the freezer can not work if the compressor does not. They always work together.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cold control because it keeps set temperature.

It is possible that there is a slow leak on Freon. That's why the compressor should run longer to maintain the proper temperature.

Get access to the evaporator and check how the coils are covered with frost. Normally it suppose to be a thin layer of frost. If the coils are clean, then the system is low on Freon.

Gene.
d_rogers@charter.net  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:53:33 PM(UTC)
d_rogers@charter.net

Groups: Registered

Thanks Gene, As luck would have it, my wife texted me at work today to tell me she noted the freezer was shutting off periodically during the day. I just got home from work and sure enough, its off and holding steady at 0 degrees. When I took the back panel off I was looking for ice. I am pretty sure it did have a thin film of frost on it. I will check it again if it starts acting up again. The only thing I have done different is turn the thermostat down to the 3.5 position from the 4.0 spot.Thanks for your help
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:34:00 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome. Very likely it was a false alarm.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply