Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swoldhagen  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 5:34:48 PM(UTC)
swoldhagen

Groups: Registered

I have a number of ice maker questions but to start, I wanted to show you a question/answer posted at the end of the ice maker parts page for my fridge on this site:

Quote:
Ice maker question. A while back, my icemaker went nuts and made way too much ice and then quit completely. From internet searches and browsing your site, I determined that the sensor boards were faulty so I replaced them and also the metal ice tray as the slick coating was trashed. Now I have what appears to be accurate LED operation from the board (which it was not before) but icemaker will not cycle and fill. I have attempted to run the troubleshooting diagnostics from the documentation supplied with the sensor kit but cannot get the main unit to fill with water or enter "harvest mode" and cycle the tray actuators. I cannot see how both the motor unit and sensor kit could fail at the same time. Could a bad motor cause damage to the sensors (or vice versa)? Steve for Model Number Whirlpool GS6SHAXKT01
ANSWER Hello Steve, It is possible that the icemaker motor or the emitter board could cause the other to fail. The way to put into a test mode. Take the front cover off of the icemaker. Put a jumper wire between t and h. Remove power to refrigerator for 30 seconds then reapply power. The jumping from t to h will allow the unit to bypass the thermostat and will allow to cycle. Check for water when fingers get to the 11:30 positon. If no water then check the fill tube to ensure that it is not frozen. If this is ok then cycle again and check for power to water valve when the icemaker calls for water. There should be 120 vac to the water valve when it calls for water. You can test this with a multi-meter TJMA-DMT3. Here is a link on how to use a multi-meter. http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html
Answered by AppliancePartsPros.com | Monday, January 21, 2013
When I posted that question, the ice harvesting fingers were in the "home" position. As I started to troubleshoot this evening, I noticed they were at 6 o'clock (dead bottom of the ice tray) and stopped. So, I started with the first step above and jumpered the T and H pins on the motor control. Drop power to the fridge for 30 seconds and restore. As I opened the freezer door, noticed that the fingers were moving (I could hear the tickety-tick of the motor turning them), then they stopped at around midnight. No water. No more movement. Jumper still in place, I try again with the power down/up. No effect. I am thinking I have a bad motor assembly but I have other questions before I order more parts.

Since I have already replaced the optics and they appear to be working, I was wondering if there are any other "hidden" electronics? I see a plug for the ice maker motor/tray assembly. I know there are also plugs for both the optics boards and there is a connection to the solenoid valve for letting water in. Is that it? Are there any other hidden items that contribute to the function of the ice maker? It seems that the motor assembly controls the solenoid for water, the ice harvesting, the heating of the tray element during harvest, pretty much everything. If the motor is bad, nothing works.

I tested the water valve by swapping the connectors on the two valves. Water flows into the tray and the line is not frozen. I also noticed that the tray heating element was on during my test as my wife was helping me by checking for water and "burnt" her fingers on the tray (I think she was just startled to find something HOT in the freezer).

Seems to me everything checks but the motor assembly. Its function seems haphazard, at best. I am thinking replacing it is the next (hopefully last) logical step. This is what I am ordering if I can get a confirmation on my logic above.

Whirlpool W10190935 Ice Maker Control Module - AppliancePartsPros.com

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.