Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DAC  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:07:33 PM(UTC)
DAC

Groups: Registered

Working on a GE Icemaker. Water is overfilling the tray and dripping into freezer compartment. Replaced the water valve. Problem came back in 3 days.
Can anyone help??
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Baudretsch  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:19:45 PM(UTC)
Baudretsch

If a little water flows into the freezer, then stops, the problem is with the timer, not the fill valve.
To access the timer, remove the cover on the front of the ice maker.
Then, unscrew the inner cover and you should see a flat-head adjustment screw on the right side. Adjust it clockwise to reduce the amount of water.
The tedious part is that you'll have to wait for it to cycle to find out.
Good Luck
DAC  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 3:17:09 AM(UTC)
DAC

Thank you, I will try that this week. Do you know what would cause this problem to occur? age, sediment, etc. I do know that the water filter needs to be replaced.

Many Thanks

DAC
Baudretsch  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 3:09:15 PM(UTC)
Baudretsch

Sediment and a dirty filter would reduce the amount of water flowing into the tray, which would make the ice cubes smaller.
An increase in water pressure would make more water flow, increasing the cube size and potentially causing it to overflow.
There may be other causes as well.
DAC  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:52:02 AM(UTC)
DAC

working on GE ice maker, model # CAN17. Removed front cover, as recommended, to access trace water fill adjustment. This unit has no adjustment screw. Completely removed maker from freezer. Inside there is a printed circuit board, nothing else. Any suggestions? Tray still overfills.
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:55:08 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Yours is an electronic model, which doesn’t have a fill adjustment screw. Understand this adjustment screw (on icemakers that have them) isn’t for fixing leaks, they are for adjusting cube size.

Basically if the water valve didn’t fix your problem replace the icemaker. Make sure the tube that fills the icemaker with water isn’t partially clogged.

http://www.appliance-repair-it....efrigerator-leaking.html
DAC  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:44:04 PM(UTC)
DAC

Thanks for the help. I thought the unit would need to be replaced.
DAC  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 11:39:13 AM(UTC)
DAC

Replaced icemaker with new oem unit. All connected, turn power on and the the new unit overfills right in front of me. When first powerd on, started clicking during tray fill and continued to overfill. Can anyone help???
applianceman  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 12:36:51 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Check to see if you have low water pressure coming to the water valve. Water pressure cuts these valves off and in some cases the water pressure may not be high enough to completely close the valve off. It will have to be fairly low (below 15 psi) to cause this but now that you replaced both parts you should check it. If this is the case you may want to try replacing the valve on your house to get the pressure back up.

If the pressure seems to be fine, all you got is the icemaker and the water valve so it is apparent one of the parts you replaced is faulty. Power up the icemaker and wait for it to start running water, then unplug the refrigerator. If the water continues to run with the refrigerator unplugged replaced the valve. If the water stops flowing as soon as you unplug the refrigerator then the icemaker is bad however I would repeat this a couple of times just to be sure it isn’t an intermittently sticking valve.

Sand, settlement or rust in the your water lines could cause the valve to fail.

It is hard for me to say replace the same part you just replaced but you have replaced the only two parts that can cause this issue.
DAC  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:16:34 AM(UTC)
DAC

I will check the water pressure tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply