Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roknec  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 4:42:15 PM(UTC)
Roknec

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have a kitchen Aid refirg that I suspect is 5 or 6 years old but new to me. The evap fan went out so I replaced it with an identical item. All seemed well but I notice the fan rarely turns off. It does once in a while but not very often. All other functions seem normal such as condenser and defrost. When I run the diagnostic test it seems to indicate that the RC thermistor is not functioning properly but looking at the parts diagram there is only one thermistor and it is in the freezer. Temps in both compartments seem just fine. I'm now wondering if this is why the evap fan burned out in the first place. Any thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 3:06:42 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check the schematic behind the front kick panel. You will probably find the evaporator motor gets it's voltage from a isolated control board pin. If so, the relay on the board is damaged from the old motor. This asumes the compressor shuts down "normally". Replacing the control board will probably fix the problem
Roknec  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:30:04 PM(UTC)
Roknec

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Check the schematic behind the front kick panel. You will probably find the evaporator motor gets it's voltage from a isolated control board pin. If so, the relay on the board is damaged from the old motor. This asumes the compressor shuts down "normally". Replacing the control board will probably fix the problem

Thanks richappy, so you dont believe that the test of the RC thermistor failing has anything to do with the problem?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:33:16 AM(UTC)
richappy

You have not given us enough info. Need the freezer and fridg stablized temperatures and verification the compressor is/is not constantly running together with the evaporator fan motor.
Roknec  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:19:44 AM(UTC)
Roknec

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You have not given us enough info. Need the freezer and fridg stablized temperatures and verification the compressor is/is not constantly running together with the evaporator fan motor.

Thanks again for your reply but now I am a little conufsed. You indicated that I should order a new main board which I have at just shy of $200. I had not provided temps but had indicated that the compressor was working properly it is the evap fan that runs continuosly, It has turned off a couple of times but not very often.:confused: Should I have not ordered the very expensive main board???
richappy  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
richappy

All indications point to a stuck relay on the control board. If that new board fails to fix the problem, you can allways return it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply