Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Karenelizabeth  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:53:41 AM(UTC)
Karenelizabeth

Groups: Registered

We are having two issues with our GE side-by-side refrigerator.

The first problem is that the freezer side does not keep a consistent temperature, which results in food spoiling and major freezer burn (it looks like our food has been snowed on, and chunks of ice form on the outside of packaging). We set a refrigerator thermometer inside, and have seen the freezer range in temperature from 10 degrees to 40 degrees (even though the freezer temperature setting is at the coldest number). I would assume that when the freezer temp gets above 32, water forms on everything and then when the temperature drops again, all of that water turns to the ice chunks we keep seeing. We tried taking everything out of the freezer and drying/ airing it out, but this has not helped the problem. The customer service rep I spoke with on the phone had a few suggestions: defrost thermostat, temperature control board, or main control board. If you think it could be multiple things, let me know (I’d rather order them all in one shipment and have to return the ones that we don’t end up needing).

The second problem we are having is with our ice dispenser. Although the icemaker works fine, the ice itself will not dispense. At first, it would only dispense small amounts of crushed ice (with either the crushed or cubed setting chosen). Now it does not dispense at all. When we press for ice, there is a humming noise, but nothing comes out. We have checked to make sure there is nothing blocking the door that the ice comes through, and have also checked to make sure the part inside the ice bucket is free to turn – both are all clear. The customer service rep suggested perhaps it is the dispenser board / control board for dispenser.

We would appreciate technical expertise for both of these issues. We would also appreciate any instruction as to how to install the new parts, as we are merely amateurs. Thank you for your time and your help, I look forward to your email.

Sincerely,
Karen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.