Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Trisha100  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 1:53:46 PM(UTC)
Trisha100

Groups: Registered

This Kitchenaide frig has the freezer on the bottom and the french doors on top. It had a filter water button inside the french door section. The problem is with the freezer.

For the past couple of months we have noticed water pooling on the floor under the frig. As best we can tell is that it is coming from inside the freezer. The area under the baskets is concave and appears to be collecting water from somewhere. The ice maker appears to be working fine. There is no catch basin under the frig like on older models to catch water from self defrost.

The water freezes in that area under the baskets. When it gets really full it must spill over. However....why is it even collecting in this area? Where does the defrost water go in a model like this??? :confused:

Thankfully we have a quarry tile floor...if it was wood this would be a disaster.

This was a pretty high end refrigerator and I am pretty :mad: that it is already having problems!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

goandychurch  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:02:36 AM(UTC)
goandychurch

did you find out how to troubleshoot this? Thanks!
nrpolo  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 3:27:20 PM(UTC)
nrpolo

I had the same problem with my Maytag Gold. We unplugged/defrosted first, removed the rear panel found the little rubber part that is on the end of the moisture drain tube. It comes together forming just a slit. We made the slit a bit larger and knock on wood have not had the problem since. Here is the site I found that showed me how. Bottom Mount Whirlpool Fridge Leaking Water « Neighbour’s Appliance Service « Serving Altona, Winkler and Morden Manitoba
Good luck
goandychurch  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:02:31 PM(UTC)
goandychurch

THank you so much for sharing your workaround. I will give that a go.
Ronbo36  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:54:32 PM(UTC)
Ronbo36

I clicked on the provided link for help, but got a message the page no longer exists?

Having the same problem with a 2 year old Kitchenaide 2 door and 2 drawer fridge. Same problem with ice forming under the freezer basket, and then water leaking out onto the floor.

Have defrosted it, but found no drain under the freezer drawer, or anywhere else that I could see?

The owners manual is no help at all, and when I called and emailed Kitchenaide for help through customer service support they were no help at all, no answer to emails.

If I knew where the drain was located I would clean it out, but can't find one. Taking the bottom freezer drawer apart to remove it is another hassle for one person. Can't believe how poorly this fridge works for the over $2500.00 I paid for it.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 12:33:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ronbo36

Here is the link to the site.
Just take a look through their blog.
Home « Neighbour’s Appliance Service « Serving Altona, Winkler and Morden Manitoba

I am off to the lake later today so will not be available till next week.
You did not include the model number for your unit so I am not sure that the above info is applicable to you.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Ronbo36  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 12:57:30 AM(UTC)
Ronbo36

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Ronbo36

Here is the link to the site.
Just take a look through their blog.
Home « Neighbour’s Appliance Service « Serving Altona, Winkler and Morden Manitoba

I am off to the lake later today so will not be available till next week.
You did not include the model number for your unit so I am not sure that the above info is applicable to you.

The model number is: KFXS25RYMS2 Kitchenaide
Not sure if there is any connection, but just before I started to experience this problem a little over a month ago I had changed the water filter in the fridge. Guess I did not seat it securely because it leaked at lot of water into the fridge before I realized the problem. I did my best to clean up all of the leaked water, but about a week later I started to have the ice forming under the freezer drawer...and all of the related leaking water problems since then. I thought the two day defrost and cleaning fixed the problem...but maybe I have a plugged drain now?
denman  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 2:36:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes I would start with checking the drain funnel.

If it already has a P-Trap then I would flush it out.
A turkey baster does a decent job.
Also check that there is no dust etc. slowing the drain at the pan/tray.
If it seems slow you may have to flush it with a 10% bleach solution to kill stuff growing in it so you can flush it all out.
Let the solution sit in the tube for 10 to 30 minutes then flush it again with solution then another soak and a final flush with water.
Be careful that you do not overflow the drip tray under the unit.
Also wear old clothes unless you are into the bleach dye look.

Here are your parts
Parts for KitchenAid KFXS25RYMS2 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Take a look at the drain parts (items 27,28 and 29 in section 06)
Note that if you click on the parts picture of description a new page will open with more info on it often including a Q&A section which you may find helpful.

Also it looks like there is a drain kit available if your unit does not have the P-Trap, see Item 31 in section 01.

See the attachment for info on it.
File Attachment(s):
PTrap Drain.pdf (325kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
Ronbo36  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 3:32:55 PM(UTC)
Ronbo36

Just had a local repair man over to check my fridge, and it turned out the 'duck bill' drain was plugged, and the line was frozen.

So we have the fridge running frost-free again, and ordered the new 'upgraded' replacement drain tube (W10619951) for $15 on Amazon.Com with Prime 2 day shipping.

Could get it free (I'm told) from Kitchenaide as a upgrade...but for me it was easier and faster just to buy it myself.

Hopefully the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Ronbo36
denman  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 11:49:08 PM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome.

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply