Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
famcar  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2012 5:41:32 PM(UTC)
famcar

Groups: Registered

My KitchenAid refrigerator runs continuously and gets very cold, whichever setting I use.

I checked the coils and they are clean. I also changed the thermostat for a new one. I checked and the seal is good and the light switch is in the proper position.

Here is what happens:
- Refrigerator runs continuously and temperature is colder than what I need, despite the setting being on the highest temperature
- If I switch off the refrigerator using the temperature control to the "off" position, and then switch it back on, then the cooling system does not start.
- Once the refrigerator starts warming up (after several hours), then the cooling system starts again and will not stop.

I am tempted to buy a timer which will program the refrigerator to switch off every so many hours but I would rather find a proper solution to the problem. Any suggestion?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 8:37:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Either you have sealed system problems or a sticking cold control. Mesure the stabilized freezer temperature and post.
famcar  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2012 4:45:37 PM(UTC)
famcar

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Either you have sealed system problems or a sticking cold control. Mesure the stabilized freezer temperature and post.

It's a refrigerator only - no freezer section. I checked the temperarature with a refrigerator thermometer and it shows 30. I am not convinced of the accuracy so I am going to try again with water.
famcar  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 7:40:56 AM(UTC)
famcar

ok - was out of town a few days. I now checked the temperature with water and it reads 34. Setting is still on warmest level.
richappy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:01:17 AM(UTC)
richappy

Ok, all evidence points to a sticking cold control 4344725 You can try spraying the control with non-residue contact cleaner available at Walmart, just turn the control while spraying.
famcar  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 1:40:38 PM(UTC)
famcar

Thank you richappy. Do I just spray the connectors? That seems too easy to be true. :)
richappy  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 3:11:00 PM(UTC)
richappy

Just spray the control, it helps to use the red tube that comes with it so you can direct it at any tiny opening in the control.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply