Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ahself  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 1:21:09 PM(UTC)
ahself

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool Gold GS6NBEXRS00 that is ~4 years old. This problem started about a week ago.

Everything else works fine, but the ice door/flapper will not open. I press the ice dispensing button, the auger turns, crushed or cubed ice is released into the shoot, but the door won't open to release the ice into a cup.

After unsuccessfully trying to find a solution on the Internet, I called a repairman out last Thursday. He hadn't work on this model before and fiddled with it a while, i.e. looked at wiring, checked plug connections, etc. He went through the dispenser control diagnostic mode and somehow was able to get the ice door to work again. He admitted that he had no idea what he did to fix it. However, after working for a day or so, the ice door won't open again.

I went through the diagnostic mode and checked the Ice Door Motor step (#14), which is what he said he did. It changes numbers in succession as if the ice door is opening and closing, even though it isn't.

One other point - When I press the ice dispensing button, I hear a click (the switch?) and then a faint humming sound (the motor?), as if the door is opening (or trying to), and then another click. A few seconds later, the faint humming sound returns, as if the door is closing, even though it never opened. I remember hearing the humming and clicking sounds when the ice door opened/closed, i.e. worked, on Thursday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.