Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cat&mouse  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:44:22 PM(UTC)
cat&mouse

Groups: Registered

I am about ready to throw out this piece of junk, I have replaced both fans the defrost timer a thermistor and stop start relay, still the fridge upper part will not cool down less then 44* the damper is working also
the freezer part will not go lower then 19* I dont know what else to do, I cant get a repairman to come out to my area we live seveal miles from town. The compressor seems to be working it hums so i guess its working dont know how to test it ...anyone know what is or could be wrong with this horrible designed cra*....I have had nothing but trouble with this thing I have replaced the fans 3 times ...since we bought it...I give up just dont have anymore ideas....the control box seems to be working you can turn off and on and hear fans starting up. need help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:00:24 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

Leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the back wall of the freezer section. Look at the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. What you're looking for is a very, very light coat of white frost on all the coils, top to bottom. No snow or ice or only a few coils frosted.
cat&mouse  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:18:32 AM(UTC)
cat&mouse

The back is full of ice that is the only thing that is keeping the upper part cool because damper is always open .......the coils are full of ice not just frost.....so thats why i replaced the defrost timer.....but still get the same thing. ice build up/ so did not know what else to do.
thanks
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:58:23 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

There are only three components that make up the defrost system in a refrigerator, the defrost heater, the defrost thermostat and the defrost control board or defrost timer. The best and easiest way to check the defrost system is: Remove the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) and check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity with an ohmmeter. Check the defrost thermostat while it’s covered with frost. It needs to be below 40*F to show continuity. If both check OK for continuity, the defrost control/timer has failed and must be replaced. Since you already replaced the timer, you probably have a faulty heater or thermostat.
rickgburton  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:03:13 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

By the way, after you determine what part you need, use a hair dryer and completely defrost the coils. Don't leave any frost or ice on the coils. If you want to defrost it by leaving it unplugged with the freezer door open, it needs a full 24 hours to defrost.
cat&mouse  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:33:22 PM(UTC)
cat&mouse

why would the upper part not cool lower then 44* this is what dont make any sense, the frezzer also will not go lower then 18* if the heat coil has failed and needs to be replaced what is causeing the other upper part not to cool down lower. even set at the lowest temp of 33* it will not drop lower. I guess i might have to order another part like the heater wire that seems to wrap under the coil itself..this dam fridge has been nothing but trouble since day one....oh thanks for trying help. :confused:
rickgburton  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:45:28 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Because the fan can't circulate the air across the coils. The coils temperature is about -20*F The block of ice that's insulating the coils is about 32*F
cat&mouse  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:56:28 PM(UTC)
cat&mouse

ok is the damper or the fan that is behind the wall is the only thing that cools the upper section then , what are the coils for under the frig for dont they do anything to cool the upper section, what do the lower coil cool. I thought the coil behind the wall was only for the freezer. I guess I am confused about which set of coils cool what part. what is the compessor cooling then....confused. thanks I dont know anything about frigerators.:confused:
cat&mouse  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:56:05 AM(UTC)
cat&mouse

How does the coil behind the wall know when to turn on the heater wire.
I thought the ice build up was a problem and this was the problem so replaced the defrost timer the one that clips on to the copper line. this site gave me several options how to fix the warming problem, so I replaced the thermistor also did not help it still was forming ice, so we thought it must be the compressor must not be turning off and on like it should so replaced the rely also. Still the frigerator did not come down temps stayed about the same. I see what your saying I guess I don't understand I thought this was a dual cooling system but from reading your post I guess the coils under the frigerator must provided the gas that is cooling the same coils behind the wall. question can I run with out the wall being there or is it necessary to control the air flow.
Wow my idea was each section was separated some how the coils under the frigerator was cooling the upper section not the freezer is it cooling the coil also behind the wall. well guess I have to take it apart again to check the wire ....it needs a zipper so you dont need to take down the ice maker ...dang..haha
the big question is if the wire is fine and the timer is fine then it has to be in the panel section. in the diagram it shows a thermistor but maytag said there was not one the drawing was wrong. I wonder if I was told wrong. but dont know how to get the panel down to see. how hard is it to replace this heater wire.
Thanks again for trying to help.
rickgburton  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:17:30 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Sorry my friend, I'll help you fix your refrigerator but I'm not teaching a class here on refrigerator repair 101. Check your local library for information on how refrigeration systems work.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply