Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
texasadam  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2012 6:03:24 PM(UTC)
texasadam

Groups: Registered

Summary:
I have a Whirpool SxS, ED25RFXFW01. Unit has been in the garage for a year, worked until recently. Now the unit sometimes runs but will occassionally trip the 20 amp GFCI receptacle it is on. If I unplug and reset GFCI, it will trip when I plug the fridge back in. The GFCI trips when the refrigerator attempts to "run". When I unplug, set temperature to "Off", reset GFCI and plug back in, fridge will pull minimal (0.03) amps and light still works (0.4 amps when on). GFCI will trip when temperature dial is turned back to on.

I moved the fridge to try another non-GFCI plug. When temperature is moved to on, fridge pulls 5-6 amps but isn't cooling and makes no sound (no compressor, no fan). Normally it only pulls around 3 amps when working(amps measured using Kill-A-Watt). Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Full story:
After running perfectly in the garage for a year, of course, one of our kids left the freezer door open and left everything to melt. We dried out the fridge and left it to get cold again. It ran for 1-2 days then tripped the GFCI (and melted...again). We cleaned it, again, and noticed it would trip the GFCI every time we plugged it in or tried to turn it on. I replaced the GFCI device (assuming the previous one was old and maybe worn) with a 20 amp GFCI. Fridge started to run, but would pull high amps (14-15) when starting then resume to 3 amps. I thought it was odd, so I let it sit for a month hoping it just needed time to finish drying or something. Plugged it back in earlier this week and everything was working great, cooled to temp and worked for 36 hours. Then dreaded GFCI tripped this evening. Same behavior as before, GFCI trips when refrigerator tries to run. Moved to another circuit and it pulls 5-6 amps but doesn't run.

I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed or worth fixing. I'm not sure where to really start troubleshooting. Any help or guidance, or just pointing me in the right direction, is really appreciated!

-Adam

Updates:
** 5 minutes after posting **
I left it unplugged after the fridge tried to pull 6 amps and wouldn't run. 30 minutes later I went to get the model number from inside and plugged it in to get the light to turn on. This time it didn't try to run when it was plugged in, just pulled minimal amps and light worked. Tried multiple times to switch temp on/off, no change - wouldn't run, no load. Left it plugged in while I came inside to type my post and when I went outside again, it was running, cooling, and pulling 2.83 amps. Ugh! I sure wish I knew what was wrong with this thing! :mad:

** Update 3 hours later **
The fridge has cooled to 33°F degrees, freezer at about -2°F. Similar pattern as before, seems to work fine and runs for a day or two before acting up again. Maybe short somewhere in the defrost system? Maybe short somewhere in the start system or faulty capacitor? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.