Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gerryyf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:14:01 AM(UTC)
gerryyf

Groups: Registered

I have a Cavavin Sobra 28 bottle thermoelectric wine cooler and it is three years old. It suddenly stopped cooling so something is not functioning properly. The cooling fans at the back run fine and all the controls seem to work. I contacted the company that manufactures these and they told me it was not reparable and I was out of luck. I believe that they just don't want to be bothered with me. I have attached photos of the rear of the unit and the only circuit board visible. I am wondering if there is way I can conduct some checks with a multimeter and determine which part(s) is faulty. This is a $400.00 unit and I hate throw it away if it can be fixed. Thanks.
gerryyf attached the following image(s):
P1000972.JPG
P1000970.jpg
P1000971.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

gerryyf  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:52:57 AM(UTC)
gerryyf

I was just browsing on the web and I have determined that the Cavavin Sobra unit is the EXACT same model as the Avanti SWC2800M1 sold in the US. (Cavavin is a Canadian Company). Perhaps this helps.
denman  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 3:07:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Finding any tech info on this unit will be difficult.
I could not find any but with luck someone else will have more luck/knowledge.

Her is the operators manual it does show some basic wiring info.

The unit probably uses a peltier device for cooling.

I would unplug the wires going to the peltier cell and then check the cell for continuity. Try all the different scales on the meter. Also switch the positive and negative (polarity) meter leads A peltier will give weird readings when checked with a meter but basically you want to find out if there is continuity. Many peltier cells have a thermal fuse wired in series with them to ensure the unit does not overheat. It may also be a self-resetting thermostat. Often this is built into the cell but may be screwed onto the outside of the cell.

A peltier is a solid state device that runs off of DC current. pass current in one direction and it cools, pass it in the other direction and it heats.

If the petlier has continuity, then plug the unit in and check for voltage on the board at the plug to the pelltier. I cannot say what it should be but it should be DC. Hopefully the positive and negative are marked.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
gerryyf  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2012 2:43:55 PM(UTC)
gerryyf

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Finding any tech info on this unit will be difficult.
I could not find any but with luck someone else will have more luck/knowledge.

Her is the operators manual it does show some basic wiring info.

The unit probably uses a peltier device for cooling.

I would unplug the wires going to the peltier cell and then check the cell for continuity. Try all the different scales on the meter. Also switch the positive and negative (polarity) meter leads A peltier will give weird readings when checked with a meter but basically you want to find out if there is continuity. Many peltier cells have a thermal fuse wired in series with them to ensure the unit does not overheat. It may also be a self-resetting thermostat. Often this is built into the cell but may be screwed onto the outside of the cell.

A peltier is a solid state device that runs off of DC current. pass current in one direction and it cools, pass it in the other direction and it heats.

If the petlier has continuity, then plug the unit in and check for voltage on the board at the plug to the pelltier. I cannot say what it should be but it should be DC. Hopefully the positive and negative are marked.

Thank you for your suggestions. I took the device apart and found the peltier module sandwiched in between the heating and cooling parts. I will try to test it but I am guessing that it has stopped functioning. I have ordered a couple more peltier modules with the same reference number and will try installing one to see if it does the trick. Thanks for your assistance.
eflaux  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 7:58:41 AM(UTC)
eflaux

Hi,

I have the exact same trouble with mine, but I'm hoping the company will help me...

Has changing the peltier modules ¸solved your problem?

Please let me know, i would greatly appreciate it :)

Thank you.
gerryyf  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 11:42:09 AM(UTC)
gerryyf

Originally Posted by: eflaux Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have the exact same trouble with mine, but I'm hoping the company will help me...

Has changing the peltier modules ¸solved your problem?

Please let me know, i would greatly appreciate it :)

Thank you.

Hello, yes it did fix the problem. I removed the peltier from the wine cooler and ordered the same number peltier off ******** (there were several vendors and some from China, however, I ordered from the US supplier because it was quicker). When it arrived I installed the new one and put the unit back together. It now runs great and no problems at all. This was a lot better than throwing the unit away. Let me know if you require any more information. There are a couple of youtube entries that show you how to take it apart. Good luck.
gerryyf  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2013 11:43:35 AM(UTC)
gerryyf

Originally Posted by: gerryyf Go to Quoted Post
Hello, yes it did fix the problem. I removed the peltier from the wine cooler and ordered the same number peltier off ******** (there were several vendors and some from China, however, I ordered from the US supplier because it was quicker). When it arrived I installed the new one and put the unit back together. It now runs great and no problems at all. This was a lot better than throwing the unit away. Let me know if you require any more information. There are a couple of youtube entries that show you how to take it apart. Good luck.

Looks like the site blocked out the place where I ordered the peltier from. It is that great online site where everyone shops, wink wink.
eflaux  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 6:33:53 AM(UTC)
eflaux

Looks like the site blocked out the place where I ordered the peltier from. It is that great online site where everyone shops, wink wink.

lol
If it's not too much top ask and if you have the information at hand, can you let me know the part number and the name of the trusted vendor on that Big website where everyone buys stuff?
ebflaux at the G o o g l e mail service

I'll try and find the youtubes videos and will make the repair this summer.

I did call the company, and they said that this model has a life of about 3 years... will never buy anything from Cavavin again !
gerryyf  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 7:44:29 AM(UTC)
gerryyf

Originally Posted by: eflaux Go to Quoted Post
lol
If it's not too much top ask and if you have the information at hand, can you let me know the part number and the name of the trusted vendor on that Big website where everyone buys stuff?
ebflaux at the G o o g l e mail service

I'll try and find the youtubes videos and will make the repair this summer.

I did call the company, and they said that this model has a life of about 3 years... will never buy anything from Cavavin again !

Hi, no problem. I purchased from this place http://www.********.ca/itm/2pcs...&hash=item20cf7c7969 but it took over a month to get. If you are in no hurry, go ahead and order. I will find the links to the video on how to replace and send them to you. It is really easy to do, just take your time. Caravin pissed me off too saying the same crap about a three year life span --- really, that is lame.

If the link doesn't work send an email to me at gfrancois@shaw.ca and I will send it to you direct. The part number is TEC1-12708.
eflaux  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 13, 2013 8:02:39 AM(UTC)
eflaux

Hi, no problem. I purchased from this place http://www.********.ca/itm/2pcs...&hash=item20cf7c7969 but it took over a month to get. If you are in no hurry, go ahead and order. I will find the links to the video on how to replace and send them to you. It is really easy to do, just take your time. Caravin pissed me off too saying the same crap about a three year life span --- really, that is lame.

If the link doesn't work send an email to me at gfrancois@shaw.ca and I will send it to you direct. The part number is TEC1-12708.

URL blocked again :)

thanks for the video. I am not in a hurry, so I'll just open the cooling unit to get the appropriate part number before ordering online.

Thank you for all your help Gerryyf
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply