Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jsmith06  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:03:37 AM(UTC)
jsmith06

Groups: Registered

Refrigerator is about 6 years old, out of warranty. I was hoping that the problem is something electronic that I can replace because apparently the compressor is working since the freezer seems OK, but the frig is not cooling.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:49:36 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

[FONT=&quot]Any number of issues can cause a refrigerator to stop cooling properly. Let’s start with basic checks first. Check to see if both fans are working. The evaporator fan is in the freezer section and the condenser fan is by the compressor. If the compressor is running the condenser fan motor will also be running. Make sure the condenser coils are clean and air flow across them is not restricted. See if the compressor is running by placing your hand on top of the compressor and feel for vibration. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor running hot to very hot would indicate a problem. Look for frost on the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) indicating a possible defrost issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
jsmith06  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 7:00:40 AM(UTC)
jsmith06

Originally Posted by: rickgburton Go to Quoted Post
[FONT=&quot]Any number of issues can cause a refrigerator to stop cooling properly. Let’s start with basic checks first. Check to see if both fans are working. The evaporator fan is in the freezer section and the condenser fan is by the compressor. If the compressor is running the condenser fan motor will also be running. Make sure the condenser coils are clean and air flow across them is not restricted. See if the compressor is running by placing your hand on top of the compressor and feel for vibration. Compressors normally run warm to very warm. A compressor running hot to very hot would indicate a problem. Look for frost on the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) indicating a possible defrost issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

On my Amana frig, #ABR1922FES, I used the control board troubleshooting sheets that came with the unit. I first put the unit in Forced defrost mode and could hear the heater melting the ice and see the ice on the vents in the back wall of the freezer melting. Since I did this the refrigerator is cooling at about 41 degrees. I then did service test 1 which indicated the thermostat was closed, Service tests 2 and 3 that indicated the fans were OK, Service test 4 and 5 indicated both thermistors passed, and Service test 6 indicated the damper was working. I did not check the resistance of the heater because I knew it was working. Do I need to replace the frost kit?
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:36:26 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

I'll assume you had a defrost problem and the evaporator was packed with frost. That's why put the control into forced defrost, right? OK, it sounds like you'll need to replace the electronic control. There are only 3 components in the defrost system, terminator, heater, and control board. Since the heater is working the defrost terminator is also working. That just leaves the electronic control board. You'll need the last one or two digits after the "S" in your model number to be sure you get the correct part. You'll also need to remove the evaporator cover and finish defrosting the coils. Use a hair dryer to get all the frost out. Don't try to continuously force defrost with the service mode, it won't work to get the frost out before the terminator opens.
jsmith06  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:08:42 PM(UTC)
jsmith06

Originally Posted by: rickgburton Go to Quoted Post
I'll assume you had a defrost problem and the evaporator was packed with frost. That's why put the control into forced defrost, right? OK, it sounds like you'll need to replace the electronic control. There are only 3 components in the defrost system, terminator, heater, and control board. Since the heater is working the defrost terminator is also working. That just leaves the electronic control board. You'll need the last one or two digits after the "S" in your model number to be sure you get the correct part. You'll also need to remove the evaporator cover and finish defrosting the coils. Use a hair dryer to get all the frost out. Don't try to continuously force defrost with the service mode, it won't work to get the frost out before the terminator opens.

Thank you. I'll order the part and remove the built up frost.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply