Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mar-Gun  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 3:45:01 PM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a Viking 50lb under counter Icemaker. I have been working on it off and on for a year now. A Viking Icemaker of my Vintage (1997) is the same as the more comon Whirlpool, with the exception of the Face Plate. Any and all componets are interchangable. My Icemaker suffered the common problem of the evaporator solder breaking. As my Icemaker was over 10 years old I decided to do the rebuild and replace the evaporator with a new one, a new Compressor, new solinoid water valve. Once I pumped the system down and charged it with 7 oz of 134a it worked fine and made 3 plates of ice. Once the unit was installed back in the house is when trouble started. If I go threw the process of pumping the system down and Charging it it will make one plate of ice very slowly but that is it. Basicly it only makes Ice when I'm dumping Freon into it. It draws freon in very slowly. OK so I have a leak right? Well if I leave it sit for 3 months it still has pressure in it. I figured I got a bad compressor so I replaced it again, no change. I have since replaced the Condencer and the Thurmostate. There is now no part in the refrigeration cycle that has not been replaced. I have had two diffrent Service techs come out and look at it and say they have no idea whats wrong. Other than the Refigeration Cycle is not working. There is some concern that I have the wrong Compressor, and that its not pumping corectly. I replaced it with a replacement compressor for a 1997 Whirlpool machine the same year as my Viking, and have since replaced every other componet with the same model number, so even if it was diffrent than the original, wich I doubt there is, its now the same as the rest of the system. Anybody have a idea of what to do next.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kurt h  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:13:02 PM(UTC)
kurt h

may have noncondensables in system.(moisture freezing in txv.a drop of solder stuck in txv) did you pull a deep vacuum before charging?did you change filter drier?did you put txv bulb back on line and insulate bulb after evap change?what pressures does your gauges read while running?
Mar-Gun  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:27:42 PM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

The High side was to high as if it was overcharged. The low side to low. Tonight I removed the Compressor. I can blow Air threw the Condensor, and I can also blow Air threw the Evaporator. I can not find a blockage anywhere in the system. I can blow threw them both directions. I'm kinda at the end of my wit, I have run out of ideas to try. I have replaced every componet in the system, some of them twice. The only way I can get any service tech to come look at it is to lie and tell them its a Whirpool, as none of them will touch a Viking. I see that a new 18" is sold under the Kitchen Aid name (Whirpool) and its just the new electronic version of the machine I have now. I can get it Powder Coated to match my other Viking Appliances. ( of coarse Viking won't give out there Paint Code, I asked) And I can make it a Viking myself, but better as it will have Whilpool parts and service.
By the way, for anybody looking to deal with this Whirpool 50lb Icemaker, I highly recomend going to www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm He is very informative about how the machine works and how to fix its common problems. He might fall a little short on major Refigeration repair as I have done, but he is not a Refer Tech and what I have tryed is not what the avarage home owner would be willing to try anyway.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:42:13 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Either you have a damaged compressor, too much refrigerant, or a clogged evaporator/ bad evaporator fan motor if you have one.
Mar-Gun  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:48:40 AM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

Well I have tried two new compressors, I can blow Air threw the evaporator in both directions, there is no Fan for the evaporator, and I have pumped the system down and recharged it a dozen times. I generaly add 7 oz by weight, and the evaporator makes its Ice evenly accross the Plate, a sign that there is about the right amount. It will make one sheet of Ice everytime I do this but only one. It sucks the Freon in very slowly, it might take 40 minutes to suck in the 7oz. The freon I'm useing is from the Auto Parts store, non sealing 134a. The compressor I'm useing is a W10309988 wich should be correct for a 1997 Whirlpool Ice maker. I don't have any way to get the correct Part Number for a Viking, other than pay twice the price and wait 6 months or more and see what whirlpool compressor comes in the box. As I have changed every componet useing the same whirpool model number, it should be the right one for the rest of my componets even if it is diffrent than the Viking one, wich I have doubt.
Today I'm going to plug in the compressor by it self and see how it pumps, I can amaze my self holding a finger over the discharge port.
richappy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:14:10 PM(UTC)
richappy

You probably have a partial restriction in the capillary line, low compressor current would confirm.
Mar-Gun  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:55:16 PM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

Hmmm, yes thats a good idea, I have been thinking about it most of the day. If there was going to be a blockage the Capilary tube would most likely where it is, and if I screwed up silver soldering that would be the most likely spot. However I just took it apart and the end of the Tube is clear, and compresed Air into the Evaporator comes out both the large tube and the Cap tube. Hot wireing the Compressor tells me its drawing a vacume and blowing out the discharge. I'm not under the impression that the compressor is working all that hard, however I have no way to confirm this. I see that full load is 10.8 amps, and I could check that I guess. I'm going to install the Compressor one last time and run it, just in case I blew something out of the system with out knowing it.
I checked with my powder coater and they can match my Viking Color, so if this thing dosn't come back to life soon a replacement will not be far off.
Thanx for all the info......
Mar-Gun  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:31:11 PM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

I'm done. Soldered all the lines back togeather and drew it under a Vacume for a couple of hours. I switched back to my first replacement compressor. Its not drawing in any Freon and non of the lines are cold. The lines have been bent so many times they are getting very brittle. I'm cashing in my chips and I feel I gave it my all but it just wasn't ment to happen. I have spent 2/3rds the amount of a new Machine in parts alone for no gain. Tomorrow am a new machine will be ordered. Thanx for all the Help.
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:47:53 AM(UTC)
richappy

With high current draw, youi probably have non-compressables in the lines. If you put a new dryer on with a purge fitting, you would be able to purge the high side of non-compressibles.
Mar-Gun  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:55:01 AM(UTC)
Mar-Gun

I installed a new Dryer with each of the new Compressors. And I have tried purging the system from that port. I had also installed a port in the top area at the Condencer, and have tried to purge Air from there as well.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply