Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
star95presson  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:18:40 AM(UTC)
star95presson

Groups: Registered

Problem; When the Freezer goes into Defrost cycle some water is detected in the bottom refrigerator section.

It was determined the Basin/pan in freezer section has allowed ice/water to migrate beyond the catch basin/pan, (catch basin described as aluminum pan under evaporator in freezer compartment).

Catch basin front side "closest to door" appears to be configured lower than back edge which would allow the above mentioned water migration issue/activity to occur. 1) Is this correct configuration of basin/pan?

It also appears an ice build-up has occurred in the area beyond the area of the evaporation coil section, as far forward as the door, also blocking the flow of defrosted ice to migrate down into the proper area, bottom of the refrigerator. 2) It appears a per-longed defrost would be needed to correct some of the issues, is this correct?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 12:32:44 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
. 1) Is this correct configuration of basin/pan?
Sounds correct to me.

. 2) It appears a per-longed defrost would be needed to correct some of the issues, is this correct?
I do not think so.
Sounds more like the drain tube is plugged so the water from defrost is accumulating and finally overflowing.

I would check that it is clear.
If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.

Also check that the pan is clean any dirt/film on it will slow down the eater and cause problems. Sometimes a coat of buffed up wax helps.

If all OK then there is a jiggery pokery for drain defrost but the above should fix the problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply