Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottor  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 12:40:32 PM(UTC)
scottor

Groups: Registered

Amana refrigerator model ABB2522FEB refrigerator started freezing food in the crisper drawers and on the top shelf. I have replaced the thermistor in the fridge.

The damper seems to work, although when I check it it is open more often than not. I can push a little on wheel that opens and closes it, and the motor will take over and close it.

Both the freezer and refrigerator seem too cold. With the temp control set at 1 in the refrigerator I am getting temps of 26f on the top shelf and 23f in the bottom. The freezer temp control is set at 4 and I am getting temps at -4f to -10f.

The compressor does not seem to be running more than it used to before the problem started, but then I didn't pay much attention to it until now. The door seals seem fine. The coils under it have recently been cleaned, it was the first thing I did and they weren't that bad. The compressor is running now and I just checked the temp of the coils and they are at 125f.

So, do I need to: A. install the new damper I have; B. replace the thermostat in the back of the unit; C. replace the control board in the top front of the refrigerator; or D. do something else?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:11:26 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Amana ABB2522FEB - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet

[COLOR="Blue"]The damper seems to work, although when I check it it is open more often than not. I can push a little on wheel that opens and closes it, and the motor will take over and close it.[/COLOR]
The above does seem to point to a sticking damper.

Try running the diagnostics in the tech sheet to see if anything shows up as faulty.

Also is the evaporator/freezer fan running.
If not this can cause problems.
File Attachment(s):
ABB2522.pdf (721kb) downloaded 46 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
scottor  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:36:21 AM(UTC)
scottor

Denman, Thank you for the tech sheet. I'll get on the diagnostics soon and let you know what I find.

The damper seems to be working, I think I just figured out how to trigger it to cycle closed, but will definitely run the diagnostic. Is there more than one open position? Mine seems to be either wide open or closed.

I am pretty sure that the evaporator fan is running. It is hard to tell if i am hearing the fan or the compressor or both, but there is some airflow coming from under there, and I wouldn't expect there to be any if the fan wasn't running.

The back of the refrigerator isn't easily accessible (due to our cabinetry) so I haven't looked at the compressor or anything else back there. I am trying to avoid pulling the refrigerator out by myself.
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:57:12 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"] Is there more than one open position?[/COLOR]
No, it is either full open or closed.

Get a strap, rope etc.long enough to fit around the unit. Then push it so the falls down/around behind the unit so you can then use the ends to pull the unit forward.
scottor  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:46:34 AM(UTC)
scottor

Denman,
Thanks again for the tech sheet. I ran through the service tests and the damper would not close during the test. I replaced it with the new one I had and ran the test again. This time the damper opened and closed when the test told it to.
So, I am now going to sit back and see if things start freezing again. I'll keep you updated.
scottor  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:48:12 AM(UTC)
scottor

Denman,
Thanks again for the tech sheet. I ran through the service tests and the damper would not close during the test. I replaced it with the new one I had and ran the test again. This time the damper opened and closed when the test told it to.
So, I am now going to sit back and see if things start freezing again. I'll keep you updated.
scottor  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:09:09 PM(UTC)
scottor

Denman, thanks again for your help.

I have decided to decide it was the damper. The refrigerator has not frozen anything in the last 26 hours, and the temperature has been holding in the low 40s.
denman  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 12:34:32 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply