Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jepop  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 12:54:54 PM(UTC)
jepop

Groups: Registered

Not sure of the age of the unit.
Top third has freezer, bottom 2/3 is fridge.
Recently purchased new gasket for freezer (from this fine website) to prevent the icicles from forming.

I let the gasket soak in warm water 15 minutes prior to install.
There were no screws to deal with, a simple 'groove' on the inside of the door is all that was needed.
However, the issue remains after install, there really is not a tight seal around the door at all.
Could i have done something incorrectly? As i tried to fit the gasket in the grooves, it seemed a bit too big (i eventually got it to fit) which made me worry that there would be too many 'waves' along the door and not a complete 'seal'.

This is a rental house, including the fridge/freezer unit. Landlords are great, trying to fix things without bugging them.

Side note: both doors like to close rather rapidly, not sure if that has anything to do with how it's level or anything, just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Model # MTF2191ARW
Maytag
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 2:03:15 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Use the hair blower to adjust the gasket. Be careful not to burn it.
After you finish put Vaseline around it for better shaping.

Simon.
jepop  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 3:58:46 PM(UTC)
jepop

Thanks Simon for the tip, i will do so in the morning and let you know.

In the meantime- I am going to sound like a total dunce here, but would you suggest using the hair dryer while the door is closed, (so i could see the gap closing) or use it open and just keep opening/closing the door. Or combo?
Thanks again.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 4:13:35 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

With the door closed heat the gasket with nonstop up and down motion and knock the door slightly with you other hand. On the extra large gaps pull the gasket while heating it with the open door.
Best to turn the fridge off.

Simon.
jepop  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:18:39 AM(UTC)
jepop

This may take a few times to figure out, the hair dryer seemed to improve the gaps, i will continue to adjust accordingly and keep you updated. I am still getting icicles at the moment. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advice.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:44:29 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

You are welcome.

Simon.
Adam / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:46:08 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Testing spam filters
jepop  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 8:41:09 AM(UTC)
jepop

Update: Three times i have tried to use the hairdryer to expand the seal to get a tighter fit, and although it seems to work when i am done. The seal retracts to an almost bigger gap (even with the petroleum jelly). I am going to try reverse the seal (take the bottom and put it on top) and try to see if that works. Will let you know what comes of it.
Simon / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 8:59:23 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Put the gasket in the hot water 15-20 minutes before the installation.

Simon.
jepop  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:05:04 AM(UTC)
jepop

Ok, i am back. I spent most of today working off and on with this, here's what i did:
1)unplug the unit
2)empty the freezer, clean off icicles and ice buildup
3)soak the gasket for 25 min in hot water
4)reinstalled gasket, paying closer attention to form fitting and taking my time to ensure the gasket fit in the groove.
5)heated the gasket with warm air (not hot) for 5 minutes, using a back and forth approach with one hand and pushing with my free hand on the outside of the door.
6)place a thin layer of petroleum jelly for extra sealant
7)plug the unit back in and push it back into place

This seemed to work at first, as there were no visible gaps. However, when i inspected an hour later, there was a visible gap.

So i repeated step 5 for 5 minutes again and it seemed fine. I still have not completely opened the door, for fear of loosing the gap adjustment.

Another half hour later, the gap returned, and i again repeated to re-heat the seal until it was filled.

Another hour later, the gap returned and this time i heated (on warm) for 10 minutes (good arm workout).

I then opened the lower unit (refrigerator) to get a drink and as i closed it i happened to look up and the gap returned immediately.

Could the unit be off tilt? Am i making this a bigger hassle than it should be? Do i have a faulty gasket? So many questions ;)
-JP
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply