Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DG85  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2012 10:38:48 AM(UTC)
DG85

Groups: Registered

Last Thursday awoke to warm fridge and freezer (melting ice cubes in my icemaker) in my Jenn Air side by side. I had cleaned the coils underneath 2 weeks prior. Removed lower back panel, the compressor was on and the fan in the lower back was spinning. I checked the temp with a refrigerator thermometer and the upper part of both sides was warm. But the lower part of both sides is below 30, in fact food in the bottom part of the fridge are becoming frozen, temp is around 20 regardless of what setting I have on the top (scale is from 1-7)

I called a repair co. recommended by Jenn Air and tech came today. He checked the fan in the freezer, it wasn't spinning, so he said it is the evaporator fan motor. He didn't check any thing else. He has to order the part and come back.

I notice that if I spin the fan manually it starts. I can also see there is frost built up on the coils in the freezer.

My question is, if the fan is now spinning due to my "manually" starting it and it keeps spinning will the fridge and freezer cool off? (I realize that if the motor is bad, the fan will eventually stop) What about the frost that has built up?

I also wonder if the motor is replaced and I still have problems, if it is something else...

any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:02:51 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for JCB2280HE models | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.
With a little luck the fan will fix the unit and you will not need it.
I would print it, put it in an envelope and tape it to the back of the unit justin case you need it in the future.

[COLOR="Blue"]My question is, if the fan is now spinning due to my "manually" starting it and it keeps spinning will the fridge and freezer cool off? (I realize that if the motor is bad, the fan will eventually stop)[/COLOR]
Yes it should cool the unit down but once the fan is shut off by the thermostat or a defrost cycle it will warm up again.

[COLOR="Blue"]What about the frost that has built up?[/COLOR]
Depends how much frost. For frost to be an issue it must build up to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through the evaporator coils.

I cannot say if the fan will fix the unit as there is no way to tell.
File Attachment(s):
JCB2280.pdf (220kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
DG85  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:37:59 AM(UTC)
DG85

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for JCB2280HE models | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.
With a little luck the fan will fix the unit and you will not need it.
I would print it, put it in an envelope and tape it to the back of the unit justin case you need it in the future.

[COLOR="Blue"]My question is, if the fan is now spinning due to my "manually" starting it and it keeps spinning will the fridge and freezer cool off? (I realize that if the motor is bad, the fan will eventually stop)[/COLOR]
Yes it should cool the unit down but once the fan is shut off by the thermostat or a defrost cycle it will warm up again.

[COLOR="Blue"]What about the frost that has built up?[/COLOR]
Depends how much frost. For frost to be an issue it must build up to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through the evaporator coils.

I cannot say if the fan will fix the unit as there is no way to tell.

I'm letting the repair co. order and put in the part, while I watch closely. They can't put it in until next week due to the 3 day weekend. Should I turn off my fridge until it is repaired? it seems as if the compressor is always on because the fridge never reaches a cool temp even though I have the dial on 2 (the fan only comes on sometimes if at all, so cold air doesn't circulate although the bottom of the fridge is freezing.

also, what would happen to the built up frost on the coils? where would it melt down to? (puddle on my floor???)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply