Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
xclodbuster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:17:01 AM(UTC)
xclodbuster

Groups: Registered

Hello,
Wanted to see if I could get some help with my refrigerator. It’s a Kenmore (363.9711712), not sure of it’s age but, I’m guessing 15+ years. It just started running continuously night before last to the best of my knowledge. It seems to be fairly normal temperature wise, between 35-40 degrees. I did try to test the thermostat yesterday (not sure correctly) with a DMM (Fluke 8022A) it read 000 with the thermostat set to it’s coldest setting and when the thermostat was set to the warmest setting (after being in another freezer for 30 minutes) the meter did not move/change when I touched the leads to the thermostat contacts.

This morning after running all night the contents of the refrigerator section wasn’t starting to freeze, which I thought they would be. And turning the thermostat down didn’t stop the compressor until it was at the off position.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

xclodbuster  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:12:38 PM(UTC)
xclodbuster

Anyone? Suggestions?
Gene  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:21:54 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Most likely the problem is a bad temperature control (thermostat). The model number you posted does not come up, perhaps due to its age. Try to get all numbers from the original part and post them. It might help to find a replacement part.

Gene.
xclodbuster  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 11:55:10 AM(UTC)
xclodbuster

Thanks for your reply Gene......

I got up in the middle of the night and it was not running, didn’t mess with anything then. When I got up this morning it was running again and the temperature was around 32 degrees. I turned the thermostat up (warmer) and it shut off. So, unless it is intermittent , which it very well could be, I’m assuming the temperature control is good at this point.

Yesterday I manually turned the defrost timer until it went into defrost mode and it came back on (not sure how long I had left the house) and today it did finally go into defrost mode on it’s own (I think so anyway, I could hear it ticking). So I’m guessing the timer is ok?
I guess I will watch it as close as possible over the next few days and see what other info I can gather.

The ambient temperature is about 77 and everything is clean on the refrigerator, so I’m not sure what to try next. About how long do you think it should run?

BTW, I did find the thermostat (WR9X467) and the defrost timer if I need them.

Thanks again!
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:51:51 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Check to be sure that the condenser coils are clean and that the compressor fan is running properly
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
xclodbuster  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 6:53:44 AM(UTC)
xclodbuster

Hey denman, thanks for chiming in.......
The coils are clean, I probably vacuum them every month or so, so they stay pretty clean. As far as the fan goes, it is running properly to the best of my knowledge (running strong when the compressor comes on).

Can the temperature control work properly as far as it turning on and off when you turn it and show to be good when checked with a meter, but the temperature that it senses become inaccurate? Know what I mean?

I have a large glass container of tea in the refrigerator and this morning it was starting to form a little ice around the top. The temperature looks to be around 30 to 33 degrees. The thermometer I’m using isn’t the easiest to read, I guess I should get a digital one that’s easier to see the exact reading.
The control is set to normal (5) where it has always been. I’m going to set it to (3) and give it a day and see what happens.
denman  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 7:09:42 AM(UTC)
denman

Does sound more and more like the thermostat is sticking closed.
xclodbuster  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 8:11:36 AM(UTC)
xclodbuster

So it "sticking" is something that's a possibility?
denman  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 12:37:34 PM(UTC)
denman

Yes, it can happen
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply