Discuss

Freezer only: Cold, Compress. Runs, Defrost Stuck on too.

in

Refrigerator & Freezer Repair

. "

Freezer (not a refrigerator), it's cold, compressor runs non-stop and sides are hot all the time. I rotated the defrost

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Refrigerator & Freezer Repair » Freezer only: Cold, Compress. Runs, Defrost Stuck on too.

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM

mawil1013 is on a distinguished road
Default Freezer only: Cold, Compress. Runs, Defrost Stuck on too.
Brand: Electrolux   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Freezer (not a refrigerator), it's cold, compressor runs non-stop and sides are hot all the time.

I rotated the defrost timer knob until the compressor shut off, then rotated until compressor came back on, but defrost elements still on, as sides remained hot to touch.

My queation is: Is there a wire that I can disconnect to kill power to the defrost elements yet still allow the compressor to still work off the thermostat??

I've attached a pic of the schematic.

Regards,
Michael in the Carolinas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schematic.jpg (24.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TimerWires.jpg (75.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by mawil1013 : 09-11-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added picture of timer wires.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM

Jagsmaned is on a distinguished road
Default sides hot to touch

Hello,

If it is just the sides of the unit that are hot to touch then it would not be a defrost issue with the defrost heater. The defrost heater is on the inside of the unit behind the back wall of freezer under evaporator coils. There could be several reasons for the cabinet walls to be overly hot. Atmospheric conditions could be one factor such as the unit being located in a garage or shed where the temperatures get above 95 degrees. This causes unit to not be able to release heat into atmosphere. The outer part of cabinet acts as a condenser and has to be able to release heat into atmosphere.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:08 PM

mawil1013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagsmaned View Post
Hello,

If it is just the sides of the unit that are hot to touch then it would not be a defrost issue with the defrost heater. The defrost heater is on the inside of the unit behind the back wall of freezer under evaporator coils. There could be several reasons for the cabinet walls to be overly hot. Atmospheric conditions could be one factor such as the unit being located in a garage or shed where the temperatures get above 95 degrees. This causes unit to not be able to release heat into atmosphere. The outer part of cabinet acts as a condenser and has to be able to release heat into atmosphere.
Both outside metal sides are hot, when I turn off the freezer the walls become cool, it appears that the defrost elements are in each side, Every time I unplug and allow to sit 10 minutes the side metal feels cool, then 5 minutes after turning back on both metal sides, (outside wall) become very warm, this may sound weird but it appears the out side metal sides has warped due to the heat, the metal is convoluted!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.