Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skitty4gzus  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 3:28:56 PM(UTC)
skitty4gzus

Groups: Registered

Our RCA refrigerator is no longer getting cold. I went through a couple different checks. Checked to see if the drain tube was blocked, it wasn't. Cleaned off the dust and everything off the condenser area under the fridge, pulled the back panel off the inside of the freezer to access the evaporator, I heard it start to defrost and no large amounts of ice buildup in the freezer. The time i noticed was last thursday. On tuesday the fridge door was left open while we were at work and I noticed the fridge doesn't cool down at all anymore, and the freezer is taking quite a bit longer to freeze ice cubes. Also, the evaporator fan doesn't spin at all I don't believe. Is there anyway to force it to spin, could this be the problem? Is the evaporator fan wholly responsible for getting cold air into the refrigerator? We don't have the money for a new fridge even though we need one. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

skitty4gzus  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 6:20:51 PM(UTC)
skitty4gzus

I'm not trying to bump my post on purpose, but I pulled the freezer evap. cover off while fridge was on. fan wasn't running. i gave it a spin start by hand and it started running and stayed running. will check fridge in the morning to see if it cooled down any. At that point would it be as easy as replacing the fan?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:25:00 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would first make sure the evaporator coils have light frost over the entire evaporator.
If good, replace the evaporator motor AP2071792. If you can do mechanical things, use a SM999 (AP4503254) motor at 1/5 price
skitty4gzus  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:27:42 PM(UTC)
skitty4gzus

yes, light frost, not a big chunk of ice, no ice buildup on the evap cover. and actually the fan is still spinning today when i just got home from work. I will order a fan and keep it nearby for when i have a minute to replace it. I am mechanical, what kind of manipulating do i have to do on the AP4503254 motor to adapt it to what is OEM? Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply