Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TMAT  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:41:27 AM(UTC)
TMAT

Groups: Registered

Hello. I have a GE profile refrigerator w/bottom freezer that I am suspecting a bad control board. I noticed during the extremely hot weather this summer that the freezer was not keeping temp. I have it set at -2 deg F and it was typically running 8-12 deg F. The refrigerator temperature also rose, but only around 3-4 deg F. I pulled it out today to vacuum off the back of the unit and condenser since it has been a couple of years. I noticed that the condenser fan was not running and the compressor was extremely hot to the touch. Though there was significant dust below and around the fridge, the coils were relatively clean, so I suspect the fan has not been running for a while now. I pulled the fan and benched tested it with a separate 12 VDC power supply. It started fine and operated smoothly. I checked the connector on the fridge per a post I found for a similar model. It was reading approximately 11.3 VDC on both the motor power wire and the motor control wire. This was a little low based on the post info, but enough that I figured it would run, though the voltage may drop quite a bit more when the motor is connected and trying to start. I allowed a floor fan to blow on the coils and compressor for about an hour. Both the refrigerator and freezer came down to temp and the compressor stopped.
This also brought to light another possibly related problem. The LCD temperature display in the fridge has been intermittent for the last year or so, very dim for the past couple of months, and completely dead in recent weeks. After running the floor fan on the coils and achieving setpoint, the display was mysteriously working and bright as new. This could be a coincidence, I suppose, but I'm thinking it could also be indicative of another control board problem.
I've noticed from reading several threads that the control board is a well-know problem with these appliances. Any other suggestions for troubleshooting before spending the big money on a new board? Also, since the factory units are know to be failure prone, are the replacements any better? Thanks.

Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TMAT  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:34:59 AM(UTC)
TMAT

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: TMAT Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I have a GE profile refrigerator w/bottom freezer that I am suspecting a bad control board. I noticed during the extremely hot weather this summer that the freezer was not keeping temp. I have it set at -2 deg F and it was typically running 8-12 deg F. The refrigerator temperature also rose, but only around 3-4 deg F. I pulled it out today to vacuum off the back of the unit and condenser since it has been a couple of years. I noticed that the condenser fan was not running and the compressor was extremely hot to the touch. Though there was significant dust below and around the fridge, the coils were relatively clean, so I suspect the fan has not been running for a while now. I pulled the fan and benched tested it with a separate 12 VDC power supply. It started fine and operated smoothly. I checked the connector on the fridge per a post I found for a similar model. It was reading approximately 11.3 VDC on both the motor power wire and the motor control wire. This was a little low based on the post info, but enough that I figured it would run, though the voltage may drop quite a bit more when the motor is connected and trying to start. I allowed a floor fan to blow on the coils and compressor for about an hour. Both the refrigerator and freezer came down to temp and the compressor stopped.
This also brought to light another possibly related problem. The LCD temperature display in the fridge has been intermittent for the last year or so, very dim for the past couple of months, and completely dead in recent weeks. After running the floor fan on the coils and achieving setpoint, the display was mysteriously working and bright as new. This could be a coincidence, I suppose, but I'm thinking it could also be indicative of another control board problem.
I've noticed from reading several threads that the control board is a well-know problem with these appliances. Any other suggestions for troubleshooting before spending the big money on a new board? Also, since the factory units are know to be failure prone, are the replacements any better? Thanks.

Tom

Any suggestions on this?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply