Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jaypp1  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:20:53 AM(UTC)
jaypp1

Groups: Registered

Please Help!
OK, I have a GE Profile bottom freezer (french door) refrigerator and Ive been having defrost issues it seems. I am getting large chunks of ice around the door and sides inside the freezer, food is frosted with ice, and you can tell that the food is melting then refreezing. I manually defrosted everything and began having similar problems a few weeks later. Seems clearly like a defrost problem, so I take off the freezer panel and sure enough, there is a lot of ice on the evap coils and on the heating element itself. Seems clear so far. So, I break out the multimeter and begin testing the thermistor, heating element, and thermostat.

1. Check the heating element and it reads about 53 ohms - seems right
2. Check thermistor - it read about 11.5K ohms. This seemed low, so I replaced it. Got the new one and checked it side by side and the readings were almost identical - so that wasnt the problem either.
3. Last, I checked the thermostat. I check it when frozen and it reads .6 ohms. Seems right. I pull it out and put it in hot water and it still reads .6 ohms. OK..I think Ive found the issue. So, I purchase a new bimetal thermostat (PN WR02X12591). I get it and Ohm it out and IT READS CLOSED (.6 ohms) JUST LIKE THE LAST ONE. I put it in freezer for an hour, test it and it reads .6 ohms. I leave it out on the counter for 20 min and it still reads .6 ohms. I put in near boiling water for 5 min and yes...it still reads ~.6 ohms. Does this thermostat ever open? Do I have two bum thermostats or am I taking crazy pills?

Would a constantly closed thermostat give me the problems Ive experienced? To me, constantly closed would indicate the heating element would always be on - but thats not the case. The freezer (and fridge) seems to maintain low temps. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance

-Jay
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.