Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iambobbrown  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:56:59 AM(UTC)
iambobbrown

Groups: Registered

Hi, fridge is not working. Compressor seems to be running, it is a low vibration, not sure what it should be. There is no continuity between the three probes and teh side of the compressor. In the freezer compartment, one side of the coil gets cool to the touch, not cold. It starts to get condensation, but never freezes. Could it be the starter, or is it a sealed system failure? Anything else I can try?

Thanks, Bob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:33:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Compressor seems to be running, it is a low vibration, not sure what it should be.
There is no continuity between the three probes and teh side of the compressor.[/COLOR]
The above is confusing if I am interpreting it correctly.
If "no continuity between the three probes and teh side of the compressor" is a typo and should be [COLOR="Green"]no continuity between the three probes on the side of the compressor.
[/COLOR] then I do not know how it can be vibrating as all the windings in the compressor are shot (open)

[COLOR="Blue"]In the freezer compartment, one side of the coil gets cool to the touch, not cold. It starts to get condensation, but never freezes. Could it be the starter, or is it a sealed system failure?[/COLOR]
If we assume that the compressor is indeed running then you have a sealed system problem. If the compressor runs, the evaporator coils should frost up. Also your symptom of only part of the evaporator coil gets cool points to a sealed system problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
iambobbrown  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 3:12:47 PM(UTC)
iambobbrown

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Compressor seems to be running, it is a low vibration, not sure what it should be.
There is no continuity between the three probes and teh side of the compressor.
The above is confusing if I am interpreting it correctly.
If "no continuity between the three probes and teh side of the compressor" is a typo and should be no continuity between the three probes on the side of the compressor.
then I do not know how it can be vibrating as all the windings in the compressor are shot (open)

In the freezer compartment, one side of the coil gets cool to the touch, not cold. It starts to get condensation, but never freezes. Could it be the starter, or is it a sealed system failure?
If we assume that the compressor is indeed running then you have a sealed system problem. If the compressor runs, the evaporator coils should frost up. Also your symptom of only part of the evaporator coil gets cool points to a sealed system problem.

Sorry for the confusing wording. I scratched the paint off of the side of the compressor and ran my continuity tester from each prong (one a time) to the scratched off area. There was not a complete circuit for any of the three. I did not check the resistance between each prong with a multimeter. The compressor feels like it is vibrating, but as an amateur, I do not know what a working compressor feels like. The outside lines on the compressor are cool to the touch (not cold), and one side of the evaporator coil is cool to the touch but never frosts up (how long does that take?). Is there anyway to test the starter relay?

Thanks for the answer.
Bob
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:50:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It is vibrating so it is running.
Unfortunately it does sound like it is running so I feel you have a sealed system problem.
Another clue that it is running is that part of the evaporator coil cools, if the compressor was off you would get zero cooling.
A sealed system problem will be an expensive repair as you need a pro. Often it makes more sense to put those dollars towards a new unit.

[COLOR="Blue"]coil is cool to the touch but never frosts up (how long does that take?).[/COLOR]
A hour is plenty of time for it to frost up.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is there anyway to test the starter relay?[/COLOR]
Here is a good site on how to check things.
How To Fix a Refrigerator - Appliance Repair Guide - ACME HOW TO.com

If the relay seems to be OK then often the only way to test it properly is to replace it.
In your case I do not think it is a relay problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply