Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave00  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:26:48 AM(UTC)
Dave00

Groups: Registered

Guys,

Haven't been on here in a while so here goes. My GE Profile is acting up again (model # PSW23PSSFSS) and is not cooling properly. The compressor is running fine, but she won't seem to get below 50 in the fridge part and the freezer is staying around 7-9. I replaced my main board a couple years ago solving a problem I had with erratic cooling causing the ice to melt and freeze. Now the freezer is staying cold enough to freeze just not the fridge. The evap fan in the freezer is running fine and my coils are not frozen over and seem to be defrosting fine. Could this be a thermostat issue? Or where can I start troubleshooting. I'm starting to hate GE as this fridge is a piece of crap and given me so many problems. Please help as I really don't wanna buy a new fridge now, but I'm thinking of going that route.

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Dave00  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 10:23:04 AM(UTC)
Dave00

An addtional note, my fan leads for the ac side evap were cooroded pretty badly and I just spliced them in to take care of the bad connectors. The fan infront of the evap coil is running fine, however the fan mounted deeper in the assembly that pulls air from the side of the fridge (red connector) is not kicking on? What is this fan for, does it pull air from the freezer?
richappy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:40:12 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If the compressor is running constantly and vibrating, but not cooling down the freezer to a "normal" temperature, then you have a bad compressor/refrigerant leak.
Dave00  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:45:04 PM(UTC)
Dave00

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
If the compressor is running constantly and vibrating, but not cooling down the freezer to a "normal" temperature, then you have a bad compressor/refrigerant leak.

We'll she's finally cooling back down. I think my refridge evap fan was intermittent due to the major corrosion on the connectors. I cut the connector out added some wire and spliced it back in. Fan is running fine and after a defrost cycle as I think the freezer froze over due to me having the door open so long, she's finally getting back down to temperature. A couple of questions:

1) What does the other fan do in the refridge compartment that pulls air fron the inner wall of the fridge? It is mounted in the styrafoam with the traditional evap fan but has the red connector. I assume its a fan to blow warm air on the evap coils during defrost?

2) How can I properly test the board to make sure I'm not having the same issues as before? It visually checks out, but what ohm tests or voltage tests can I perform to make sure it's ok?

Thanks again guys.

Dave
richappy  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 12:53:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The fresh food evaporator gets airflow from the fan motor in the damper assembly which cools the fresh food section
You will need to refer to the scematic behind the encoder to get input voltage and output voltage to the fans.
Dave00  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 3:46:44 AM(UTC)
Dave00

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
The fresh food evaporator gets airflow from the fan motor in the damper assembly which cools the fresh food section
You will need to refer to the scematic behind the encoder to get input voltage and output voltage to the fans.

Now that makes more sense as it pulls a different temp air to regulate the fresh food drawer. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply