Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidigoe  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 8:03:40 AM(UTC)
davidigoe

Groups: Registered

Hello, thank you so much for this forum! My Kitchenaid side-by-side stopped making ice. After searching the net, I found that replacing the control module has the highest percentage of fixing the problem, so I bought one and replaced it. But, still no ice. Could you please direct me now as to what to do next? I see very mixed ideas on testing continuity of a thermistor, or a control valve. If this is the case, can you help me find them? I am mechanically inclined, but the refrigerator is large, so I need to know if moving it is correct to find the next step. Or should I just replace the whole icemaker? Thank you so much! When I had it taken apart earlier, it looked like the water fill tube was frozen slightly, and it thawed out to where it was dripping very slowly. No ice WAS VISIBLE in the tube, but it could be blocked further back?

-Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 12:01:47 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

The temperature in the freezer should be around 0*F.
Using the multimeter check for 120VAC at the icemaker test points L and N.
Next switch around the plugs at the water inlet valve and push the water lever at the dispenser. If the icemaker fills up - replace it. Make sure the fill tube isn't frozen.
If it is that is the sign of the bad water valve.

The water valve Part number: 2006766
davidigoe  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 12:31:14 PM(UTC)
davidigoe

Thank you for such a prompt response! My wife will be pleased if I can finish this out quickly. So, I will pull the fridge out tonight to access the water valve inlet on the back. As I understand it, I am switching plugs around on the water inlet valve to try to feed water into the icemaker. However, where are the testing points L and N on the icemaker for testing with the multimeter? On the control module? I will check the water inlet tube to see if frozen, I assume it will be obvious in an accessible area...? And, most likely there needs to be no testing of a "thermistor"?
Thank you for your time, sir!

-Dave
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 2:43:19 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

You'll find the test points behind the icemaker head cover.

Simon.
jazzbike2  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2012 4:11:08 PM(UTC)
jazzbike2

I have a somewhat similar issue. Kenmore Model 106.55606400 refrigerator, icemaker doing nothing. No voltage across L&N test points. What could cause this lack of voltage and how to fix?

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
You'll find the test points behind the icemaker head cover.

Simon.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 8:21:00 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Follow the attached instructions. Most likely the problem is bad optic control Part number: 4389102
Part number: 4389102

Post the results.

Simon.
File Attachment(s):
jazzbike2  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2012 6:25:16 PM(UTC)
jazzbike2

All of the optics check out fine (that is all of the LED flashing sequencing). So why is it that I would need a new "ice level control board?" When I jumper the black wire with the black-white wire on the connector to the receiver board and get full line voltage on the white and black-white pins on the connector for the icemaker (and also then get full line voltage on test points L&N), the icemaker itself still shows no signs of life -- the motor doesn't run (even when I jumper T&H).

I saw reference in your attachment, Troubleshooting Chart C, to the possibility that the "thermal fuse in icemaker harness is open." Is there really a fuse in there? If so, how do I test that fuse?

Please advise, and thanks.

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

Follow the attached instructions. Most likely the problem is bad optic control Part number: 4389102
Part number: 4389102

Post the results.

Simon.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:15:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Just to add my 2 cents...

The thermal fuse is spliced into the black wire of the ice maker wire harness.

Remove the ice maker from the freezer, unplug the wire harness from the ice maker and check the black wire for continuity.

If the thermal fuse is open that means the ice maker was overheated. I would recommend to replace the whole ice maker because the chance of successful repair on ice makers is very low. The new wire harness is coming together with the ice maker.

- The ice maker Part number: 2198597
Part number: 2198597

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
jazzbike2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:04:56 PM(UTC)
jazzbike2

I have tried all this further testing and ultimately decided that I am unable to determine whether the icemaker assembly, harness, fuse or the ice maker control board (emitter-receiver) are bad. It's possible both major components are bad. Therefore, I am ordering both items and will return whatever may not be needed. Thank you for your advice. I will try to remember to report back the results here once the parts arrive and are installed.

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Just to add my 2 cents...

The thermal fuse is spliced into the black wire of the ice maker wire harness.

Remove the ice maker from the freezer, unplug the wire harness from the ice maker and check the black wire for continuity.

If the thermal fuse is open that means the ice maker was overheated. I would recommend to replace the whole ice maker because the chance of successful repair on ice makers is very low. The new wire harness is coming together with the ice maker.

- The ice maker Part number: 2198597
Part number: 2198597

Gene.
jazzbike2  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2012 3:50:10 PM(UTC)
jazzbike2

I installed the new icemaker assembly and now it's producing ice just fine. It seems the optics were never a problem so i'm returning those. Look at the attached photo, to the burned-out copper contacts inside the plastic gear of the icemaker. This undoubtedly was the root cause of the failure. Thank you for your help. Case closed:) .

Originally Posted by: jazzbike2 Go to Quoted Post
I have tried all this further testing and ultimately decided that I am unable to determine whether the icemaker assembly, harness, fuse or the ice maker control board (emitter-receiver) are bad. It's possible both major components are bad. Therefore, I am ordering both items and will return whatever may not be needed. Thank you for your advice. I will try to remember to report back the results here once the parts arrive and are installed.
jazzbike2 attached the following image(s):
IcemakerBurnedContact.JPG
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply