Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LarryDB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 4, 2012 6:48:48 AM(UTC)
LarryDB

Groups: Registered

I have a side by side Whirlpool fridge (#ED27PQXFW01) that is not cooling in either the fridge or freezer. The fan by the compressor is running. I vacuumed and cleaned the dust build up off of the condenser assembly. The air flow between freezer and the fridge is normal (unobstructed and good flow).

I accessed the control panel and checked the thermostat by disconnecting the electrical supply and bypassing the thermostat with a jumper wire. Same result: fan runs, air flow between compartments good, but no cooling. To be sure, I checked continuity of thermostat and its spot on zero.

Next I checked the defrost cycle. I disconnected power to the fridge for two days before I plugged it in again. My logic was that any buildup would have melted away and the fridge should start. No luck. Next, I manually advanced the defrost timer several times. It clicks and the whole unit turns off, then it clicks back on. But doesn't get cold. I checked the timer for continuity (I think). There are 4 terminals on the timer: pink wire, orange wire, red wire, and white/common. I connected one probe to the common terminal and one by one I checked the colored terminals. For each, I advanced the timer through two clicks. The meter didn’t budge (remained on infinity). However, when I reconnect the timer, if I manually advance it, I can turn the entire unit on and off. But again, no cold air. I did check to see if the unit would run with the timer disconnected. No luck.

Next I opened up the freezer and took off the back panel. I can see the evaporator coils and the heating element behind. Again, when unit is plugged in and “running”, the heating coil does not get hot so my gut tells me that it’s not the bi-metal thermostat.
Final test: every thirty or forty seconds, the compressor seems to kick on with an audible click then 2 seconds later it seems to turn off with another audible click. While on, I can feel it “humming.” I’m wrestling with whether the issue is in the compressor (i.e. lost its charge) or if some electrical switch is sending a signal to the compressor to turn off so quickly.

Any thoughts? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:16:24 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The compressor should be warm and vibrating. If not, I would make a diagram of the compressor wiring, and order a new start device AP3601983
LarryDB  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 5:43:49 AM(UTC)
LarryDB

The compressor does vibrate and get warm for the two or three seconds that its on but then it quickly turns off. It seems to do this every thirty seconds or so. So I know it has power. I can't figure out why it turns off so quickly.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:50:58 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Your compressor may have sucked in non-compressables or is damaged internally, amprobe and gauges would confirm.
LarryDB  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 5, 2012 7:56:25 AM(UTC)
LarryDB

Thanks. Sounds like either I have a refrigerant leak or compressor failure. My sense is it might not be worth trying to salvage. Appreciate the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply